Thursday, March 04, 2010

I know that I'm a self-proclaimed reality tv addict. I enjoy the drama and disfunction of other people's lives. But, I think I have officially come to a point where I realize the downfall of the creation of reality television shows.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I am pretty sure the first reality show was aired by MTV....it was none other than "Real World-New York" Yes, there were drama and fights, but I think there was more to it as well. I think the whole point of the show was to open people's eyes to other people's reality...It was not just about shock tv. It was a novel idea....until MTV went overboard with it. Now, there's no purpose or meaning to the show..the only theme I see is "the smuttier, the better."

I think I finally came to my senses when I saw the cast reveal for "Dancing with the Stars." Kate Gosselin? Really? I thought this show was called Dancing with the STARS?!?! Back in the day, there were prerequisites for attaining stardom...like TALENT. It's mind boggling how an average joe lands on reality tv and becomes instant celebreality...there's no longer anything average about them or their lives. The paparazzi is stalking them, they're signing book deals, launching fashion lines, making records, and dancing on prime time! It's nuts!! It makes me feel sorry for trained professionals who spend their whole life dreaming and working towards stardom!

Will I go cold turkey and stop watching it all together? I'm going to be honest...probably not. But, I'm definitely cutting it down and definitely weeding out the smut. (maybe) =)

No comments: