Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Cocunuts!

pelf \PELF\, noun:
Money; riches; gain; -- generally conveying the idea of something ill-gotten.

Sentence: Everyone knew that the pelf she suddenly attained was from the work she did afterhours as she walked scantily dressed on Lincoln Boulevard.

The other day I called someone a coconut. She didn't know whether she was insulted or complimented. I tried to explain that it was neither an insult nor a compliment...just a statement that she obviously didn't understand. For those of you who don't know what a coconut is...it's a person who is Indian on the outside, but 100% American in the inside. The person in question tried to convince me she was Indian by blurting out some malayalam words, which she totally butchered. Finally, I asked her why she felt I was insulting her...why she felt that she had to defend herself to prove my statement wrong. I told her there was nothing wrong with being a coconut...it's just the way she is and that's just how it goes. Then she wanted me to explain WHY I think she's a coconut. I began to explain that she doesn't know a thing about Indian culture, traditions, can't intelligably speak the language, and...last but not least...she hates Indians. If that isn't a coconut, I'm not sure what is.

I think she might have had a tinge of guilt at that point until I pointed out my theory of how she became a coconut. My theory is that most coconuts...not all, but most...become this way because of their parents. I think I shared this theory in my book (I'm not sure because it's been a long time since I read it)...Parents came to America, and were so hell bent on keeping "tradition"...that they didn't teach us culture. They taught us tradition as culture. Most of us either grew up accepting these traditions or turning completely against them. But in our minds, it wasn't tradition we were turning away from it was "culture." Sadly, our culture has been lost to us. We were never taught the beauty of Indian art, literature, music, etc. The food is perhaps the only taste of culture we have received.

I'm happy to say that this coconut is trying to rectify the situation. She told me she bought this book about a form of massage that was originated in Kerala. Mothers have apparently been teaching their children this massage technique for generations. Oddly enough, it's something I never heard of. But when it comes right down to it, there's a ton of things about India and the Indian culture that I've never heard of. In a way, my conversation with her was a challenge to myself...to take time to really know my culture...not just traditions.

3 comments:

happy roy said...

i have to admit that i'm pretty perplexed by your post, sue. who's to say who's "american" and who's "indian?" what is culture comprised of? why does someone who can't speak the language and doesn't like her "people" american on the inside?

people used to call me coconut all the time and i used to get really heated by it. i'd argue that i took 10 years of indian dance, went to an indian church, had a few indian friends, etc. then i realized how ludicrous my argument was. just b/c i may not act as "indian" as other people (whatever that even means) doesn't make me any less in tune with my culture.

so can you explain it to me? b/c i'm so confused and no one's ever really adequately explained it to me before. how do you know someone's a coconut? and what portion of "american" do you need on the inside to qualify as one?

Sue V. said...

people call me a coconut too. i tend to disagree...but when i think about the people who call me a coconut...i can understand why they do because i'm not as in tune with the culture as they are.

as far as the person in question...i call her a coconut because she's anti-indian. only because shes had the tradition forced down her throat and she turned against all things indian. that's the only reason i called her a coconut. like i said...it's not an insult...not in my book, anyways.

kovoor36 said...

i think its hard to define becasue we all have very different views based on our different parents and their values and views. though i have never been called a cocunut, i defly have felt thay about myself in a weird kind of way, since i defly went thru my stages of not liking indian people or the tradition/culture/etc my parents enforced. i think sue is more right though, i think to be a cocunut is to be someone that is actively seeking to not be what they are, hiding anything that could be considered indian. so i dont think that qualifies you, julie;)