Tuesday, May 24, 2011

So tonight was a little scarey...The weatherman reported several tornadoes spinning through the state of Oklahoma. This happens every year...one year, I was out with friends, and suddenly it started storming and everyone at the restaurant said a tornado was on the way. I left and raced home because my mom was home alone. I was driving towards the house, and I could see the twister coming down the street...right towards me. I got home safely, and the twister went right past us and never touched us. Somehow we've always managed to escape the fury of mother nature. But, I wasn't so sure I'd be as blessed this time.

I knew I couldn't stay home...I live on the second floor, so it's just not safe. I decided to take Mousse and head over to my mom's. I looked through the apartment and thought about whether I should take anything with me. I'm not going to lie...I was veryyyy worried about the decorations I had made for an upcoming bridal shower. But, I realized that it didn't matter if I left them at home or took them to my mom's...either way, it'd be destroyed....all the hours of cutting and gluing would be all for not!

I tucked the decorations safely in my storage closet...although I know it wouldn't be safe there...and looked around the rest of the house to see if there was anything else I wanted to keep safe. Of course there are dozens of pictures framed around the house, but I realized most of em' were on line and could be re-printed. So I packed my favorite jeans, my favorite "I love Canada" t-shirt, and a sweater...and left my apartment...after saying a simple prayer..."please Lord, I know these are just things, but please keep my home and my things safe."

Thankfully, God kept us safe...and our homes safe. But, not everyone in the state was that fortunate. It is painful to see how homes have been stripped down to the foundation...and it's even more painful to know that those people have nowhere to sleep tonight...and tomorrow they literally have to start all over.

I thank God for His amazing grace....so thankful for his protection and provision.

No comments: