Wednesday, December 03, 2008

The other day I read a blog post by my blogger-buddy, Sibil. In her post, she admitted that she’s in a weird place with her blog. She longs to write the unadulterated truth, but fears how her readers might react to the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth…so help her God.

I’ve felt the same way many times. I’m not sure my feelings about posting the truth are the same feelings that Sib has about posting the truth.... My feelings are based on one simple question…How much is too much? Often times, I’ve found myself becoming a backsliding blogger just because the things that were going on in my head…and in my life…didn’t consist of blog appropriate material. It seems weird to censor yourself on your own site. Sometimes, you just want to say it like it is. We put ourselves “out there”…but how much is too much?

It’s both nice AND weird to know that there are people out there who tune into my blog that I don’t know on a personal level. On one hand, it’s kinda cool to know that someone thinks my writing is entertaining enough to come back and check me out again. On the other hand, it’s kind of scary to know that just by the things I write on this blog, perfect strangers have opinions about who I am, what I say, and what I do.

I think blogs like “DOOCE” are so hugely popular because professional blogger, Heather Armstrong keeps it real…and her REAL is really entertaining. This is also why reality TV has become so big over the years as well. People like to watch other dysfunctional people because it’s nice to know they’re not the only ones with dysfunction.

I’m not sure I’ll ever come to a point where I will let it all hang out. But, I do promise to continue to write as much as I can about the day in the life of SueVee.

1 comment:

Scorps1027 said...

i think the concern of "how much is too much?" is relevant for me as well. i would hate to be discussing something that is going on in my life and for someone to be like "hey, you're talking about me" and in a not so favorable light. the truth while freeing, hurts.

my conundrum is i wish my blog was more anonymous. that way i could write what i want and no one would be hurt. also, marriage brings about privacy issues. i'm all about the truth shall set you free, but my husband is a lot more private than i am. i know he does not find speaking the truth on my blog as carthatic as i do. in fact he worries if it endagers my privacy and offends those who i'm writing about. on issues of family, which is something i REALLY want to blog about, i dont' want to compromise privacy or integrity.

i'ts a fine line to walk. hence, why i thought about password protection so it's not open to those who shouldn't be reading it. in the end, i think i should find a creative, vaguer way to write about my life. i guess that will be my challenge as a writer:)

i hope you blog more too!