Monday, February 02, 2009

For the Love of God....

In the month of February, love of is pretty much in our face at every turn. Whether it’s the sappy commercials for diamonds on television or the glittery hearts dangling from the ceiling of supermarkets…we are constantly reminded of the love we either do or do not possess in our lives. Although some don’t like to admit it, most humans spend a lot of their time seeking love. We yearn for functional love from our often dysfunctional families, brotherly love from our friends and peers, and romantic love from that special someone. Romantic love can sometimes be the most dangerous. We place all our expectations on another to “complete” us, which is not only impossible, but an irrational idea.

Once we find the love that we’ve sought long and hard for, we tend to do whatever it takes to keep it. We bend over backwards, make sacrifices, and sometimes put up with nonsense, although we know in the back of our minds that one mistake, one misunderstanding, one tragic circumstance could end our relationship.

And then there’s the unconditional, eternal love that most of us have grown up hearing and knowing about….the love of God. I can’t remember how many times I’ve recited John 3:16 “For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten son…” And although, most of us have knowledge of this love, we don’t seek it, we don’t understand it, and we don’t accept it.

I’ve seen God change the lives of several people who decided to take a chance and accept His love for them….He turned their lives from dull and lackluster to brilliant and promising…He made impossible situations possible…He replaced hearts filled with doubt and fear into hearts filled with peace and joy…and best of all, He saved their souls and offered eternal life.

As I reflected upon all of this over the weekend, I realized that I am definitely one of those people who knows of God’s love, but I don’t understand the depth of it….and then I heard this song. I typed the lyrics below for all of you…in hopes that it would minister to you as it has to me…in hopes that it would encourage you to open your heart and accept the free gift of love that God has given to you and experience the depth of it…It’s the one love that lasts forever…that knows no limits….the one love worth having.

Oh Lord You’ve searched me,
You know my way;
Even when I fail You,
I know You love me.
Your holy presenceSurrounding me
In every season,
I know You love me;
I know You love me.

Chorus: At the cross I bow my knee,
Where Your blood was shed for me,
There’s no greater love than this.
You have overcome the grave,
Your glory fills the highest place,
What can separate me now?

Verse 2:
You go before me,
You shield my way,
Your hand upholds me;
I know You love me.
And when the earth fades,
Falls from my eyes,
And You stand before me,
I know You love me;
I know You love me.

7 comments:

afterthoughts26 said...

His love is truly the most unconditional, unwavering and the more pure. Thanks for sharing the song!

Anonymous said...

definitely a great sentiment.
*hugs* hope all is well.

- j banana.

Anonymous said...

I think the most awesome thing about God's love is that it never fails you The love of God that is seen in Jesus Chrsit

Anonymous said...

Jesus Christ :)

Anonymous said...

That is my favorite song Sue! I play in my car all the time! :) Your post was awesome!

Staicy said...

awesome post sue...i love that song and it continuously ministers to me everytime i hear/read it :)

Anonymous said...

Suechech i loved the post...and its funny bc i was singing that song like 2 minutes before i logged onto ur blog :) the song always ministers to me, especially when i feel the most confused n nothing else makes sense...its good to kno that no matter what, He will always love me for me!
Miss u!!!
-Ajith