Wednesday, January 28, 2009

The 90’s...It was the best of times. It was the worst of times. When I think back to that era, I see myself in my mind’s eyes, driving my cherry, red Mitsubishi Eclipse, windows rolled down, frizzy head bobbin’ as KJ103 blared “Biggie, Biggie, Biggie, can’t you see? Sometimes your words just hypnotize me.” It was my song…not sure why, but it was. “Hypnotize” was the first song that moved me to the dance floor where I showcased my awkward moves in front of shocked onlookers.

I guess it was memories of the good ol’ days that inspired me to go watch “Notorious”, the movie about the life of rapper, Christopher Wallace. Oddly enough, I went to watch it alone. Matt was working…and even if he wasn’t, I didn’t think it was the type of film that would pique his interest. My nephew, Aaron would have watched it with me, but he is 3 years too young to watch Rated R….and as his aunt, I think it’s safe to say that I’d never want to watch a Rated R movie with him anyway. I went to a Friday night showing…and was a little nervous about getting capped outside on my way into the theater, so I made sure to where my East Cost paraphernalia to play it safe. Guards stood outside the auditorium checking id’s with their semi-automatics nestled safely at their hip. (I’m not sure if the guns were semi-automatics…but I’ve always wanted use that in a sentence). Nevertheless, they were intimidating and it made me a bit more nervous for my safety. Was getting capped worth watching this movie?

When a family of four walked in…with their three year old child and ten year old…I figured I was safe. But wondered if the kids were? Why do parents bring their kids to Rated R movies? Especially one like this?? Hello…Biggie had relations with Lil’ Kim!...You think they weren’t going to depict her raunchiness in aN explicit way? The R moments made me cringe so I can only imagine how the kids felt!

At the very end of the film…an old familiar song came on….”Biggie, Biggie, Biggie…can’t you see? Sometimes your words just hypnotize me…” And as the audience filtered out of the auditorium (passing the cops with their semi-automatics)….we were all singing along with the song…It was like the anthem of the 90’s!!....Afterwards, I found myself driving home, window rolled down, frizzy head bobbin’ as the radio blared my song.

3 comments:

Soulsysta said...

Hypnotize was my jam!

...sicker than your average Poppa
Twist cabbage off instinct niggas don't think shit stink
pink gators,
my Detroit players
Timbs for my hooligans
in Brooklyn...

the 90's surely were the most interesting of times. I definitely want to see Notorious - hopefully sooner rather than later so i too can travel down memory lane!

and girl! good on you for hitting up a movie (BY YOURSELF) on a friday! That's one of my irrational fears - any other day i would be okay - but a friday makes me feel far more insecure than i should.

hope all is well.

Unknown said...

you know.. i've never EVER been to a movie by myself. may be i should do that this yr :)

Scorps1027 said...

i've been to plenty of movies by myself on weekdays and matinees, but i've never faced the friday night crowds. so big ups to you!

also, with all the violence surrounding the premiere of that movie, i would have been a bit nervous about going altogether. i'm glad you had a good experience!