Wednesday, April 13, 2011

I saw the strangest thing on TV the other night. Two women were conversing in Spanish, but they were dressed in Indian attire...as in Sari, dot on the head, bangles, chunky earrings and the whole nine yards!! It was the strangest thing...and I couldn't stop watching. Next there were other shots that were clearly filmed in India, more people dressed in Indian clothes....but everyone was still speaking Spanish...save a few Hindi words like "chalo" and "thee k" (excuse the spellings...I'm sure they're wrong) So, I had to investigate this further....what was this strange show?? Apparently the Spanish Channel created a new television show called India...which airs in Brazil (and obviously the U.S. too!) The soap opera reflects Indian culture and the plot is about a Dalit boy who falls in love with an upper class girl. Brazilians LOVE the show and it's causing an uproar in the country! Brazillians are now apparently obsessed with Indian customs, culture, and fashion! I'm not sure how accurate the representation of India and its culture is....because I can only understand a few words here and there....but I do think it's highly interesting that Brazilians have made an Indian soap opera! Ha!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've seen this before and wondered what the heck its about so thanks for the description.

Raiza Santillan said...

Hey this Marissa best friend from Houston even though yuh don't kno mi I'm Hispanic and mi and mi mom love watching his show everynight at 9:00pm and marissa told mi about yur blog about it! I was so thrilled that yuh saw it too! And if yuh have any questions about it ask marissa all Tha questions and I'll answer them :) by the way today was Tha last episode of Tha soap opera