Friday, May 30, 2008

Surviving the HEAT...

It was 90 degrees out yesterday, and in the land of the scantily clad, I wore a sweater over my shirt. Yes, I'm aware of the fact that most people prolly think i'm LOCO. But, I can't seem to give em' up. I rather sweat to death. Matt says I'm getting darker by the day. Now, if I was pasty white, this news may excite me, but I'm far from that...so I figure I could use some covering to help me block out that Florida sun a lil bit.

When I came home from work yesterday, I had a watermelon waiting at my door. It was attached to a note t hat said "welcome to the neighborhood." I thought it was a rather kind gesture from our neighbors. Now, I don't know what the proper protocol is. Do I just cut the watermelon and think fondly of them as I eat it? Or, do Matt and I go over there and introduce ourselves and thank them? I haven't experienced this kind of niceness before. Any suggestions?

Well, I have already discovered my two most favored spots in FL so far. (both introduced to me by BF) 1. Pollo Tropical. It's a fast food joint that has a chicken n' rice dish that's very comparable to NYC's own. 2. Shoe Land. When you walk in it's like you've died and gone to cheap shoe heaven. Not only are they cheap, but they are oh-so-cute and stylish. The only downfall is that they smell like fake leather. In case you don't know what that smells like....it stanks.

Well, blogosphere....enjoy your weekend. I survived my first work week here! yee. haw. Matt and I will be trying to hit up Universal Studios tonight when I get off. Other than that...I got some much needed cleaning to do this weekend.....

4 comments:

kovoor36 said...

im notsure what to do with the neighbors, i have never seen such kindness either. enjoy your weekend!

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you are getting along well. It sounds like such a fun place to live...warm sun, shoe heaven, and Universal Studios at night what more could you ask for? As for the watermelon I would introduce yourself and thank them. Better to be to friendly than rude. Have a great weekend!

Shelley

Anonymous said...

hmmm, darker than you already were? Then you are probably invisible at night....HAAAAAAAAAAA

Anonymous said...

it's sad to see that we have bought into eurocentric thinking that has devalued dark skin.