Tuesday, February 15, 2011

I watched a show last night on OWN. Lisa Ling was reporting on faith-based healings/healers. I was already in a very emotional mood and probably should have recorded the show and watched it another day. But I just had to watch it last night...One story in particular really tugged at my heart strings. A man had gotten in a car accident at age 18 and had a brain injury which affected his speech. As if that wasn't bad enough, years later he fell off his roof and is now paralyzed. He attended a healing conference and believed 100% that God would heal him on the last day of the conference in the last 10 minutes. He said that God spoke to him and told him this.

Perhaps it's my lack of faith...but I knew he wouldn't leave the conference healed. But as they showed the last ten minutes of the conference (the time he was supposed to be healed), I found myself crying and praying..."Please God let him be healed." Well, he wasn't. Lisa Ling had become very attached to the man, and she too was crying watching him still sitting in his wheel chair. She went to him and checked on him to see if he was okay....and instead of being disappointed or angry...he lay his hand on Lisa Ling's and prayed for her. He also said that the life he's living now is just but a moment in time...but in heaven, he'll be healed and that will be an eternity. Now, that really made me cry!

I thought that a lot of people probably watched this show and thought that faith/healing/God is all just a bunch of hocus pocus. But, I thought that showing this man and his story really was a great example of what faith truly is. It was really encouraging! I could completely relate to his story...and I'm sure a lot of people can. I've prayed and believed a 100% for a miracle before. Unfortunately, that miracle never happened. It took me years to believe and have faith again. I avoided praying for important things because I didn't want to feel like I was being ignored or feel like God didn't care...or just be plain disappointed. But over the years, I've realized that faith is not just believing in the outcome you desire, but believing God is always in control....trusting in Him through the good and the bad.

It's not easy...I find myself struggling with it on a daily basis. When you're dreams are dashed...it's hard to immediately refocus your mind on God's goodness instead of the terrible pain you're feeling or the heartbreak you are going through. But, that is what God wants from us...an unwavering faith and understanding of how GREAT his love is....at all times.

No comments: