Thursday, February 07, 2008

Me vs. Myself...

Believe it or not, I'm a very competitive person. In college, there was a brilliantly creative guy in most of my writing classes named Craig. Outwardly, we were two creative writers, who happened to have a few classes together, and enjoyed each others work. We sat next to each other, cheered each other on, but inwardly, we were staunch competitors vying for our professor's approval.

The other day, I was talking to my friend at work about my frustration with my weight. She asked me why I thought I was successful with losing my weight before and why I can't seem to do it now. After thinking about it, I told her it was the thrill of competition that fueled my drive to weight loss. I was in WW at work, and although there wasn't a competition, I was competing to be the one who lead in weight loss...and I was for a while. Then when the newbies joined in the next session, and started having big numbers...while I hit plateau, I started to get disheartened. Instead of plowing through...I accepted defeat.

After listening to my sob story, my friend suggested that I take up the challenge again...but this time, compete with myself. What a novel idea! I know that I can do better than what I'm doing now...I can put a lot more focus and effort into weight loss, but I've just been too LAZY to do it! I have lots of goals to work toward...like fitting into the clothes in my closet just in time for summer!! So....the competition starts now....

1 comment:

kovoor36 said...

good luck!!! you can do it!