Wednesday, April 06, 2016

Thoughts for the day...

In less than a week, three people I know have died back home.  It seems like ever since the start of the year, I have been hearing about a lot of people getting sick and a lot of people dying.  It's been a crazy year so far, and it's only April.  Yesterday I found out that my pastor's son, Lael died at age 38.  Lael was born with Down's Syndrome...but recently contracted pneumonia and just never got better.  He was a sweet soul and loved a lot by his family...especially his parents.  My heart breaks for them as I think about their journey with Lael.  He was their first born child, and I can't imagine their fear when they discovered he was sick.  As immigrants, they didn't have a large support system or any understanding of how to raise a child with special needs.  There was no one else in the Indian community in the early 70's that could guide them through their journey.  But, they did it...and raised him to be a loving, gentle, contributing member of society.  Aunty asked me to help write her story once.  I tried to help her, but it was a project that eventually became a lot more than I could handle at the time.  I'm so glad that she was persistent and found someone to collaborate with her and eventually accomplished her goal.  Imagining Everest is her inspiring story about raising Lael.

As I reflect on all the heart ache and sadness happening in Oklahoma City right now....I really feel that God is calling us to intercede for each other in prayer.  So many times we  become blinded by our own needs, desires, and quests for happiness and success that we don't see the needs of those around us.  But we are called to love others, help others, and pray for others.  God's first commandment for us is to love Him, but in Matthew 22:39 He says the second commandment is like it...love your neighbor as yourself.  I find myself always feeling nervous about sounding preachy when I write in this blog.  I'm not perfect and never feel like I'm in a place where I can preach to others.  But, I do believe in sharing my thoughts and what I've learned and what God has shown me.  Over the past few months, God has taught me that He uses us...His children...to show others of His love for them.  I have been on the receiving end of this...and have seen Jesus through the love I have received.  

No comments: