Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Cat...it's what's for lunch!

A friend and I were talking about "breakfast" today. I know, it's a random topic of conversation, but I'm known for discussing random things. Every morning I see this woman go down to the cafeteria and come back up with two slices of bacon and a piece of toast. She eats this daily without fail. I think what is most annoying is the fact that she's SKINNY! Anyway, finally, today I just had to ask her. "Do you ever get tired of eating bacon?"

She looked at me as if this was an odd question. "Why? Do you smell it?" I assured her that the stank of frying pig flesh is more like a scintilating aroma to me. After which, she told me that she loves bacon and could never get tired of it. "I've been eating bacon every morning for the past 20 years." I stared down at my cup of oatmeal and imagined eating it daily for 20 years. I could handle that. I just can't handle eating it HERE for 20 years. I told her that I've been eating oatmeal every day for 3 months and haven't gotten tired of it yet either. Infact, it's almost just the opposite. I have a strange emotional attachment to my oatmeal. I don't eat it on the weekends, but on the weekdays, there's just something wholesome and comforting about it. *yes, I'm aware of the fact that I'm strange* I've done the same ritual breakfast thing throughout my life. From kindergarden to highschool it was dingdongs, throughout high school it was a sausage biscuits, and in college it was an otis spunkmeyer blueberry muffins. ( which my cousin Lisa vowed was fat free and I so stupidly believed her since I thought she was the smartest person after God.) And you wonder why I'm having to lose SIXTY pounds now?!

So this oatmeal/bacon conversation brought me to my next realization/question. Why is it that people can eat the same breakfast every day for the rest of their lives, but not the same lunch or dinner? Seriously...that's really strange. Let's take me for example. I can eat a "Smart One" (frozen food) for lunch for 3-4 days out of the week since it has a wide variety of different entrees. However on the 5th day, the whole appeal of frozen food leaves me. I start to mentally psyche myself out. Like today for instance, I heated up the entree, took a bite of the beef in the stirfry and thought it tasted like cat. Not that I know what cat tastes like. But whatever that meat was...it wasn't beef. I threw the entire thing away and now look forward to the 1 o'clock hour so I can blow this joint and go have a sub. And dinner? Forget about it...it's even worse. If I have leftovers for more than 2 days, I start to feel sorry for myself...like I'm some starving, malnutriouned kid.

So, the fact that we can eat the same breakfast on a daily basis PROVES that we could eat the same lunch and dinner...but it's all mind over matter. Now that I've gotten this all off my chest...let me go get a drink so I can get the taste of cat off my tongue! =)

1 comment:

Scorps1027 said...

this is an interesting theory you have going here. however, i can't have the same thing for breakfast every day. I do grow tired of it. dont' get me wrong there are foods that have had staying power with me (pb+j, cheeseburgers), but i need to mix it up after about the 3rd day. the only thing i can have consistently every day is coffee. i think i've had it every day for the past 5 years without fail. if i miss it in the morning, i have it later on and when i do miss a day i just dont' feel right.

btw, otis spunkmeyer muffins are GOOD, have you tried chocolate chocolate chip? it's straight heavenly. um, suevee, how could you think it was fatfree when the nutrition label on the back said it was 24g for half a muffin? i just used to ignore it because denial is a tool i use often:)