Thursday, May 12, 2005

Sue's Soapbox...

I had a conversation the other day about prejudice. I've always been taught that prejudice stemmed from ignorance. I guess it just shocks me how ignorant people come in all varieties. It doesn't always mean uneducated or uncivilized. I know many ignorant people that hold multiple degrees, earn six figures, use 10$ words, but spout off pure ignorance.

I'm not trying to bash my own people or use blanket statements that group us all into one neat, ignorant package. But, many Malayalees are guilty of being elitists. They seem to think that only Malus are educated, have family values, are religious, and culturally aware. I used to think it was just the older generation, but sadly enough I see the ugly head of ignorance raising its' head among my peers.

I think what bothers me most is Malayalee churches. By definition, a church is the hands and feet of God. This means a church should go where Christ would go and do what Christ would do. However how many of our churches are equipped to minister to any random non-malayalee person that walks through the door searching for truth? Sadly, I think most churches would not be able to meet that person's needs. We send missions teams to various countries, homeless shelters, and city missions to minister and "plant seeds" as if that is enough. What about cultivation? Who takes care of these people after our week stay or one hour visit? What are these ministerial outings really about? Are they to meet the needs of the people or are they to satisfy our own needs and perhaps ease guilt? If a church is located within a community it MUST meet the needs of that community, not just the Malayalee community. When we get to heaven, it's not going to be a sea brown...it will be a sea of colorful hands raised in unity.

It bugs me when I hear people say, I don't know how to talk to "white people"...or i can't be close to someone who's not malayalee. Good Lord, step outta the box!!! The world is so diverse, and you're only experiencing an itsy bitsy portion of it. It's fine to relate more to people who were raised the same way you were...but you never know how much you have in common with someone until you communicate with them. Clearly...I'm on my soapbox...and I will now officially step off. I just needed to vent, and now I feel better!

2 comments:

kovoor36 said...

i definitely agre with you!! alot of malus are in a bubble... just keep the faith that us in the younger generation are making steps to correct alot of the mistakes that have been taught to us!!

Scorps1027 said...

mallus can be the biggest hypocrites. we are taught to be good christians and love everyone, but then the aunties/uncles go discriminating everyone NOT mallu. makes no sense. oh well sue, kill em with kindness and by example. i'm glad your church has you to fight the good fight.