Friday, May 20, 2005

TGIF

Yesterday, I had to run an errand at work and went down to the first floor. A lady in that office said something to me before I left, which struck me as kinda funny. She said "Happy Friday Eve." I've heard the term "Thank God it's Friday" for as long as I can remember, but I couldn't truly relate to the word till now.

I guess I was a nerd when I was younger because I loved school. This wasn't because I enjoyed being immersed in the world of academia. I was a social butterfly back in those days and school was FUN. I mean, who wouldn't have fun hanging out with their friends for 6 hours, passing notes, dodging attacks from the "cowboys," etc. Fridays were simply the dawn of a boring weekend at home with my parental unit. In college, I barely went to school anyway (heheh), so weekends were just another day off of school. Plus, I had to work helliant weekend shifts at the drug store that I had worked at since 16. So, a weekend full of "facing," inventory, stocking, cashiering, and unloading trucks was not my idea of a good time.

But now, there is nothing sweeter than Friday at 4:45. In fact, I start looking forward to it on Thursday, which is truly Friday eve. On Monday, everyone around the office looks a bit sad. With great nostalgia, they tell me about the wonderful weekend they had golfing, shopping, farting around, etc. On Tuesday, the sadness has just moved to being pissed. Everyone looks as if they don't want to be here, but have no other choice. By Wednesday, everyone's just doing their best to make it through the week, finish the crap they gotta do...so they have this "don't mess with me" expression. Finally, by Thursday, it's as if everyone feels that relief is on the way. People start to smile a little bit. Friday's just outta control! Everyone's smiling, socializing with everyone else about weekend plans, and laughing over silly jokes.

Now, I truly understand the meaning of Thank God it's Friday!

No comments: