Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Got a party? I got a plan...

While in Florida, I had an epiphany of sorts. I decided that I'm too creative to be happy sitting behind a desk 8 hours a day, 5 days a week doing things that require little to no creativity whatsoever. Some people are all around smart, some analytical, some philosophical, and some creative. And it's absurd to think a philosophical person would be happy doing an analytical job, etc, etc.

My ultimate goal is to have a quiet, brightly colored room in my house with a big bay window that I can write in every day. THAT would be my job. But, THAT will be a long time coming. Meanwhile, I must find ways to express myself, make money, and have some sort of happiness in my little life. So, it hit me...like a ton of bricks...the perfect "side job"...that could possibly become more....an EVENT PLANNER. Having a party? hosting a shower?? planning a wedding??? Let ME help YOU!

Where did this idea come from? I have always loved planning showers and helping plan weddings. I'm anal about it. I have spread sheets and file folders...all for a one day event. I do this for free all the time...why not spread my wings and fly a little bit?? I think what most inspired me was going to Disney. It amazed me how one man's vision, not only became a reality, but an empire. I'm not trying to be the next Martha Stewart...I'm just trying to throw some $$ into savings, so I can actually live my dream some day. Plus, it's something I loveeeee!

I got my first gig today! It's a babyshower...tentatively set for November. =)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

slimmy, you know whats weird???? i was telling sunu that when i get married i wanted to hire a wedding planner to help with all that stuff...and the first thought that came to my head was i could hire an american one....or pay YOU to help me cause you're just that good. :) ooooooo maybe by the time i get married you'll have ur own biz ane errything!

Anonymous said...

sorry, i didnt mean "american" as in a person..i meant either i could have an actual professional wedding planner....or pay one of my friends to do it. sorry if that came off as ignorant=/

happy roy said...

i think that's a GREAT idea that would be a wonderful use of your talents, sue! i've been thinking about doing a makeup/hair thing on the side b/c i too spend too much time prettying people up for their important functions. i thought my mom was crazy when she first suggested it, but after talking to jaicy's friend who visited me a few weeks ago (she does it as a legitimate side business), i realize it's not so insane after all!

i'd hire you in a new york minute. =)

kovoor36 said...

congrats on the first one!! yu might as well take on stuff that comes easy to you anyways and make some extra bucks while you are at! esp since im waiting for another suevee original book:)

Anonymous said...

great idea sue! if you're THAT organized, this kind of work should come easy to you. That's what the bride/groom are looking for basically - just someone to organize all that they can't.