Friday, July 29, 2005

Things that make you go hmmmm...

There are lots of things in the world that I don't get...like global warming...the energy crisis...the human rights violations in chechnya. Yes, the world is filled with baffling things that never cease to astound me. However, as I listen to the lady in the desk next to me crunch on her chex mix...my mind is wondering to a rather perplexing question. She worries that her crunching annoys me, however her rhythmic crunch merely puts me in a trance, and I begin to ponder why people make homemade chex mix? Yes, that's my mind boggling question of this feel good Friday.

My CCl makes lots of things homemade...like babyfood. In fact she refuses to let her boy eat processed food. I guess it makes sense...it's better for the kid. However, I do feel sorry for him that he'll never eat an oreo. I can see him at 16 standing at 7-11 with his pal. His friend will look over his shoulder checking to see if anyone sees him handing the clerk a fake id as he buys his cigarettes. Ethan, on the other hand will be looking around nervously before he hands over the dollar bill to buy a pack of cookies. I guess his mom isn't a total nutcase...cuz atleast the kid does get to eat cookies. and his mom's cookies are THE best. To make homemade cookies from scratch versus store bought totally makes sense. I mean, they're just better tasting and softer and chewier. Even if you buy them from a bakery, they'll never be as good as homemade because unless they're fresh from the oven you'll miss that warm goodness. Plus, the best part about homemade cookies is the cookie dough! I'll risk gettin salmonella for a lick of that!

But chex mix? Why would anyone want to buy pretzels, chex mix cereals and nuts and throw em' together when they could save money and time buy buying a bag. It's not like licking the bowl is any good either! it's just salty!!...and you'd get the same effect licking the bag! Now there is the puppy chow stuff that my BF makes. That's chexmix with chocolate and powdered sugar. You just can't buy that stuff in a bag...so it's definitely worth making. But regular chex mix? Do yourself a favor and just buy it!

I don't know why my head is stuck on this perplexing subject today. The only time I crave or think about chex mix is when my co-worker is eating it. Luckily they now have a chexmix type snacky available in my 100 calorie packs. I'd be so snackless without those things. But that takes me to another subject...and I don't want to be THAT random...so I'll just stop b4 I get started. I guess what it all comes down to is that making homemade chexmix is just one of them things that make you go hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

No comments: