Monday, July 21, 2008

Undeniably Malu

So for those of you who are reading this blog post and have no idea what "malu" means...let me explain. My family is from the southern tip of India...a beautiful, lush state called Kerala. The people who dwell in Kerala are called Malayalees...or "Malus" for short.

I hate lumping people into categories...or making blanket statements about people within a certain culture. So, I'm going to try to say this very carefully...as to not offend anyone... That being said...A few weeks ago, my mom and I were walking through my neighborhood. I saw a women walking up her driveway with a newspaper under her arm. She had frizzy black hair, which she tied up in a bun...and a pair of gold earings and a thick gold necklace which I could spot from several feet away. Instantly, I turned to my mom and told her that Malus lived in my neighborhood! She asked me why I was so certain that the woman was a Malayalee...and I explained that the hair and jewlery were two major give aways. As we got closer to her house....I noticed that their garage was filled with Japanese cars....a Honda and a Toyota...."See! I told my mom...there's another sign!" She looked at me as if I was crazy. But then, I saw something that solidified my suspicions....an unruly rosebush in the front yard. Upon seeing that, even my mom agreed that they definitely had to be Malayalees.

I hadn't seen the Malayalees again for a few weeks. A part of me wanted to see and befriend them....hoping the lady might invite us over for some home cooking! Then, last week as I was driving home, I saw the man of the house checking the mail. He had on blue slacks, a black belt, and a wife beater. If I had any doubts they weren't Malayalee, all doubts were now washed away!

Today, I was walking Moussey in the morning. As I was walking up the sidewalk, the Malayalee man and lady were walking down the sidewalk. I thought "this is my chance to befriend them!" They'll ask me where I'm from in Malayalam...and I'll respond with my usual village idiot response!!...They'll chuckle at my feeble attempt...and we'll all become friends! (As you can see I'm desperate to make some friends around here!) So, as they approached...I began smiling...And when they were close enough to hear me...I said "Hello!"

They didn't smile or respond to my pleasentries...they just maintained a stoic expression and walked right on past me. I was bummed...and kept walking. Maybe they didn't know I was Indian. Afterall, they hadn't seen my driveway with 2 Hondas parked in it...and my hair had been de-frizzed before my walk...and I never walk with my bling on...it just ain't safe these days!!

On my way home from our walk...we passed the couple's home again. This time, they were both standing on their driveway....almost as if they were waiting for us to walk by. The man stood there with both hands on his hips and the woman stood beside him curiously. As I walked by...they just stared, not a word was uttered...Just a silent stare.

"Undeniably Malu," I muttered to Moussey...as we turned down my street and walked home.

My "Why So Blue?" picture of the day!

4 comments:

Agn! Sharman said...

SimplyMalayalees.com: Are the Malayalees in Kerala generally rude?

http://www.simplymalayalees.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=1

Anonymous said...

these new-generational malayalees (i.e. those who emigrated after 1985) tend to have MAJOR 'tudes. no worries, its better to avoid snobby company!

kovoor36 said...

hhahahaha you should have known the malus would turn away your friendliness!! they only know how to be in your face! you denied them that by smiling and offering the first hello, rather than them asking where you from and who your parents are!;)

Anonymous said...

It's not fair that you generalize attitudes of malayalees. I don't think that it's rude but rather because of the culture, they are unsure of how to interact with other non-malayalees. I assume they didn't think you were malayalee.