Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Glimpses of Fall...

Fall...I love this season. Maybe it's because I'm an October baby. I don't know...but there's just something about the cool, crisp fall air that makes me happy. Unfortunately, the air is neither cool nor crisp here in OKC. However, normally it is one of the signs that fall has fallen...that it's time to pull out a sweater to wear over your t-shirt and replace those flip flops with a pair of fuzzy socks.

When I walk out to my car in the mornings, I hear another sign that beckons the arrival of fall. The highschool band at the school near by is practicing their routine for the football season. I remember those days...being at school at 7:00 am, when it's still dark...standing outside in the cold to practice those dern routines. I can't recall ever complaining...it was all part of the thrill of fall...football games and pep rallies!

Of course, October is on its way, and soon the trick or treaters will be out to celebrate all Hallow's Eve. I'm not so sure it's a celebration...more like a good way to sucker some candy out of the entire neighborhood. Needless to say, the stores are now stocking their shelves with candy, halloween pails, and costumes. But to me, the most exciting thing about this time of year is caramel apples! I'm really picky about apples...they can't be too sweet and have to have a certain amount of pucker to get my seal of approval. But for some reason, the apples that are used for caramel apples are absolutely perfect all the time!

Another sign of fall is the state fair. I'm not typically too excited about the fair...I can't eat the junk they call food, the teens are annoying, the fat men with chunks of fried turkey leg hanging out of their mouth are gross, and the fairhands are too tempting as they lure you into play an impossible game to win a useless stuffed animal. But there's not many fun things to do around these parts, so we try to suck whatever entertainment we can muster outta the fair.

Lastly, it's Birthday season...that's always fun times!...Sunu K, me, my sister, Staicy, Billy, Valerie...there's a lot of us...Although I say I hate birthdays, I kinda like feeling like the center of my loved ones' universe for at least one day. And this year it will be extra special since I get to celebrate with some new friends!

Ahh...yes, fall is here!

4 comments:

kovoor36 said...

yay for new friends!!:)

Anonymous said...

October babies!

you know that means you were all conceived in the winter time.. when it was soo cold =)

happy roy said...

sue, i had a caramel apple yesterday for the first time this fall. and then i read your post...i know not really a big thing, but i was amused by the coincidence of me eating them while you talked about them. =)

Anonymous said...

i LOVE fall:) it's my favoritessst season! oh and btw your cousin benji's bday is also in october:)