Friday, September 02, 2005

The week in a wrap up...

For some reason, I've had a hard time accessing this blogsite. Thus, I haven't been able to post a lot this week. My apologies to my few faithful readers. I can only think of one word to describe the events of this week...."surreal." The images of the cities ravaged by Hurricane Katrina are only comparable to the footage I've seen when terror struck in the form of the tsunami. It's hard to believe that the hungry people I see searching for food, shelter, and lost loved ones are not in some third world country, but a mere 724 miles from home.

I talked to my missionary friends in Mexico to see if their family in Louisiana had survived the storms. Thankfully, they had, but there was no news on how their homes and other distant relatives had faired. Brother Keith grew up in Louisiana, and he told me that New Orleans is actually the voodoo capital of the U.S. He feels that God is breaking up fallow ground, and now is the time for Christians to reach out to people there, and pray that they will respond.

In general, I believe that's a true statement. Now IS the time to reach out. The best way for others to know of Christ's love is for us to show it to them. Afterall, we are His hands and feet. I've racked my brains to figure out some way to help them. Hopefully our youth group will be doing a bake sale to raise some money. Our church usually sells the baked goods by auctioning it off instead of paying 50 cents for a cookie. Knowing the cause, the elders usually bid quite a bit on it. We do it old school malu style and it typically turns out great. I encourage those of you involved in youth groups to organize bake sales, garage sales...or whatever else to raise as much money as you can for these people.

In other news, SunuA and I will be off on a one-day adventure to Dallas. We usually drive up together and then part ways in the evening to spend time with our families. This means I get to see the DC's! Yeah..fun times! I'll have plenty to flog after this weekends. It's been a really dry flog season lately. Anyway, I hope you guys have a fab weekend!........remember no more wearing white after labor day!

1 comment:

kovoor36 said...

i agree with you completely, the govt has not responded at all. i do count my blessings that all is well with me and those close to me and my heart goes out to those who are not ok. p.s the auction for the bake sale is a great idea!! i think i will bring that up at our next meeting!