Friday, September 16, 2005

Times...they are a'changin!

Ever since Kindergarten, I've hated P.E. Yes, the dreaded physical education. I went to so many elementary schools that my P.E. experiences are all a blur. But, I distinctly remember a butch teacher with a snout for a nose, a bad perm, and a faint scent of sausage (oddly enough) who made me despise P.E. even more. I can't remember what school she was from or even what state I was in, but I know that this lady would make me hate that class for years to come.

I was never fast at anything. To this day, I'm a pretty slow walker, talker, driver...I'm just not in a rush to do anything so why be all Speedy Gonzales about everything?? Anyway, I remember bits and pieces of experiences with Ms. Snoutnose, but the memories are foggy. This is probably because I've buried all my bad experience in gym class in a hidden vault in a non-operating compartment in my brain. Anyway, Ms. Snoutnose made us climb a rope. Ok, I was a chubby kid with elastic pants...how the heck would I climb a rope? I remember watching the other kids do it with such ease. Then it was my turn...I stared up at the rope. It might as well have been Mount Everest...because that's what the rope represented in my eyes. I feebly held on and tried to push my elastic pant-wearing self up, but I didn't move...not even an inch. Sweat beads formed on my forehead as I grunted and struggled. It felt like I had climbed all the way to the top because that's how much energy I used, but I never moved an inch up the rope. Ms. Snoutnose responded to my lack of success by saying, "we're not going on until you climb that rope." My face got hot with embarrassment, and I chugged a half an inch up the rope, which seemed to take 5 minutes...and agonizing 5 minutes after that...the bell rang. Ms. Snoutnose gave me a dirty look, and I pouted my way on out of class.

Since that humiliating moment, I hated PE for all the years to come...getting picked last for EVERYTHING, the scooter races, the dodge ball (who invented that cruel game, anyways?!), tag, square dancing (maybe this is an oklahoma activity)...you name it...i hated it!!! Even in college, we were forced to take 2 hours of PE. I took rollerblading...didn't get too far with that one...so then I took walking fitness, which nearly killed me because of shin splintz. After I got that hour out of the way, I was on to Yoga, with my Nazi yoga instructor. I chugged through that class too...because I had too!

I was just about to give up on the notion of ever become atheltic or physically fit when I tried the "couch to 5k program"...and found success! And for the first time in my life, I...ME...Susan Vee!...was asked to join a team!!! Yep, the friendly receptionist at my gym asked me to join the gym's team and run the 5k for the Cancer Run in October. I had to decline...because I already joined the team at work. But boy...it was a great feeling to be picked for a change!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

awww good for you poo!!! see?? you are totally rockin it!! and i'm so proud of you! =)

kovoor36 said...

hehe, it must feel nice to be picked first!! you should be soooo proiud of you!! i was also very un athletic in pe class and yet i played field hockey for 3 yrs of high school, go figure. maybe cause it was on my terms;) anyhoo, i remember one yr in hs, i had this gym teacher who we would tell we had cramps or our monthly visitor everyday for the half a yr we had gym class and he never questioned it. he would throw his hands up! ahh, girl problems!!( the best part is he also taught us health for the other half a yr and obviously should have known we would have bled to death!!) hehe, that was the best:)

Anonymous said...

sue.. promise me you'll take me square dancing when I visit OK!