Thursday, December 29, 2005

Last night, a few of us girls got together for dinner. While there, the host suggested some "relationship building" activities. She had us each write our names on a piece of paper and pass them around to each person, who would in turn right something nice about each of us. It was an interesting activity. I tried my best to write something different on each person. For instance, "Blessed"...it's obvious that she's a great singer, so I avoided writing that. Instead, I wanted to pick the unobvious...something that would surprise her when she read it. I wanted her and the others to think "Hmm...i didn't know Sue thought/felt that way about me." I was pleased to get my paper back. Most of the girls wrote the same thing on mine in various ways. "I'm funny and they like how I write." I pretty much expected to see those comments because that's how I'm usually described. "Sue's so funny." or "oh...Sue, the writer?" Not that I mind either...

But one comment kinda surprised me. It was from the newest member of the group. She said, "you're different...in a good way, of course." I hear this a lot from my friends who have known me for a long time. I never really fully understood why I get that comment a lot, and I guess in all honesty, I've never questioned why. But, when someone who hasn't been around me that long said it, I started to wonder what made me different.

It's really odd...this whole getting older thing...and for the 2nd time this week, I'm realizing that. In high school and college it was my goal to be different than other Malu kids. So hearing people tell me I'm different would have made me very happy back then. But lately, I just find myself wanting to be like everyone else around me. I don't want to be categorized as different...and I found myself on a quest today of trying to discover what sets me apart.

I'm not sure if I discovered the answer. Most of my friends don't like to elaborate on their opinions....they just say, "I don't know. You're just different." One told me that "I march to the beat of my own drum rather than that of those who try to beat it." I guess what they're trying to say is that it's not a bad thing. I never thought that it was.

I guess after 31 years of being a non-conformist, I kinda want to conform. I dont want to be an odd duck anymore. I know it's wrong to want to be like other people...I know it's weird to have an identity crisis at 31...Maybe I've lost more than a few pounds this year...maybe I've lost my mind too. I'm the girl who preached about not living "cookie cutter" lives...and now I'm trying to squeeze myself into the cookie cutter. Maybe I just need therapry...or maybe just a nap.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why do you refer to me as "Blessed"? You know my real name is Suja, right? ;) Just making sure.

And what's funny is, I did think, "Sue thinks that of me??" =)

Anonymous said...

sue is sue, and that's the way it should be! speaking of which, i could use a nap rights about now.

Ps- what did you write about suja? curious bloggers want to know ;-)

kovoor36 said...

whats wrong with beating your own drum?? i wouldnt take that as a bad thing! not then, not now!! and napping.... its late! i think im heading to bed!!:)

cookiemonsta said...

oooh that's is a great activity.. We can all do that one day =) I'd love to know what others think of me!!

What is the fun in being like everyone else? paaahhh boring!! We all love you because of who you are. I am sure your "real" friends would say the same!

Kutty.. do whatever makes SUE happy...

Anonymous said...

i think u need therapy! :) ahhh trickey...when people say ur different, i think its a good thing..u are different!
1. ur unique in ur own way..but everyone is unique in their own ways..
2. u always make people laugh, even when ur not even trying to..
3. ur giving and loving heart can make someone feel loved and special..
4. ur a wonderful friend! u give Godly advice
5. u know dumb and random facts about people and things
6. ur nosy(who else would we get the juice from? ;)
7. ur BEATIFUL (and u don't even know it or act like it)
8. u express ur thoughts and feelings in WORDS instead of speaking it
9. u are a faithful woman of God, ur crazy personality can welcome a stranger
10. its so easy to get attached to you,
11. you value friendship(hard to find peeps like that),
12. u are forgiving and always take a friend back(especially when the friend messed up real bad)
13. u always have words of encouragement and can motivate anyone to do whatever their heart wants to do
14. u are the most craftiest and creative person i know!
15. u can throw great parties(even ur book party was fun, in a strange way)
16. ur maaad fun to chill with and its guaranteed to have a great time with u
17. u snore!
18. u can't sing(unless if ur goin for the baritone pitch)
19. u THINK u can play the chingle(tamberine)
20. and last but not least, ur truly a blessing to anyone that meets you! :)
THERE! i just listed 20 "different" things about u..its different and special to me.. :)

Anonymous said...

one more thing..ur friends could NEVER imagine their life without you! life would not be the same if you were not in it!

Anonymous said...

u r soo blessed sue =)