Thursday, January 05, 2006

I can't get the Boy George song outta my head!!!

I've been thinking about something..."chameleons"...not the reptile, but the human-version. I think everyone has been a chameleon at some point in their life. Teenagers find themselves acting like chameleons in high school in order to find a place to fit in. Even college-aged chameleons can be expected and understood. But, when does it stop?

If you haven't figured out what a chameleon is yet, let me explain. It is a person who changes in order to fit into their environment. I think it's important to be adaptable. If all your friends want to eat at an Italian restaurant and you are in the mood for Chines, you shouldn't expect 10 people to change their minds because of you....I mean, order a salad, nibble on bread, or get dessert. There's ways of being adaptable. But chameleons do more than adapt, they change and contort their lives in order to fit in with their friends.

Like I said, I can understand when young people do it. It's hard to find your place and be confident in who you are when you're younger. But if you don't have things figured out by 30, Houston...we've gotta problem. Every person has different sides to them, which make them interesting and unique...and you can't behave one certain way all the time...that'd be so boring! For instance, I am pretty straight-laced, but every once in a while...I have the urge to take a walk on the wild side. But, I don't ditch my straight-laced friends in search of new "wild side" friends to do so.

It's hard to figure out who you are and feel comfortable in your own skin...but I think it's important to at least TRY to get to that point instead of changing your identity every 15 minutes. =/

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

who's been changing their identity on you sue? i mean you're right usually by this age ppl kinda know who they are....its difficult if they dont. but every so often ppl decide to change their life and lifestyle.....hmmm i guess if they're changing it every 15 min that woulda kinda be hard to keep up w/!