Friday, December 21, 2007

The Words We Never Hear...

A friend of mine told me some wonderful news this morning. He had finally achieved a goal that he's waited a lifetime for. I'm not sure if he wants me to share it with the world wide web, so I'm just gonna talk in circles for a minute, and you'll just have to forgive me. This "thing" he accomplished was a career goal. It's not the career that I...and many others would choose...or that we would choose for him. It involves risks and danger and the thought of it makes my stomach turn a little bit. But, I also know that my friend has wanted it, took a chance to pursue it, and now he has finally achieved it!

I was curious to know what his parents' reaction was...and I must say I wasn't surprised when he told me that the worlds "I'm proud of you" did not come out of their lips. They are wonderful parents and sweet people....but I guess it's a bit hard to express pride in someone when they are pursuing passions and dreams that you rather them not have. Heck, sometimes kids pursue exactly what their parents wanted them to and still don't hear the words "I'm proud of you."

So, although my words probably will never mean as much to him as that of his father...but...friend, I am so proud of you....for so many reasons. I'm proud of your bravery and courageousness....I'm proud that you took a chance and achieved your goal...I'm proud of you determination and commitment...and I'm proud to call you my friend!

1 comment:

kovoor36 said...

congrats to whomeever it is doing whatever is they are doing!! following your dreams is rough sometimes, but woohoo to them for going for it!