Saturday, November 28, 2015

Seven Days of Thankfulness....Day Six

I found it pretty difficult to find something to be thankful for this morning.  Before I even hit the ground running, bad news was delivered to my door step.  I wondered who could be ringing my doorbell incessantly so early in the morning on a  cold, icy day.  I tried to ignore them...but they were pretty persistent.  So I finally opened the door and when I did....

I saw nothing but tree behind the guy.  My heart immediately sank.  The beautiful, big tree that was in my front yard had collapsed.  Last year it was hit by lightening, but I hoped and prayed it could somehow survive it.  After last night's ice storm, it split in three ways.  One huge limb fell on the hood of my Honda Fit, the other limb fell on my roof, and the third limb remained, although weak and heavily damaged.  

Even as I type this I can hear tree limbs breaking and falling from the weight of the ice through out the neighborhood.  The entire neighborhood looks like it's war torn with broken trees.  Luckily three of my neighbors were kind enough to grab their electric saws and saw the limb off my car.  My poor bright blue Honda Fit was caved in from the hood.  RIP Sueberry...I loved you once.  The neighbors were too scared to saw of the 2nd limb.  It had to be done just right or it could potentially cause a lot of damage to the house.

So, for the first time in life...I handled a big girl task.  I had to call the insurance company and make a claim and then find a tree cutter who could take on the task...Luckily, my cousin "I guess" provided moral support.  The tree cutter told me that the third limb and the rest of the tree had to come down.  I wasn't ready to say goodbye.  But, I knew it was the only choice I had.  RIP beautiful, big tree...you added so much charm to my little house and you will be greatly missed.

So what am I thankful for?  Well....I'm thankful that this situation wasn't worse....and that my house doesn't seem to be too terribly damaged.  And although I lost Sueberry...she was just a spare and I have another car, so I don't have to find a replacement.  And I'm thankful for my neighbors who are pretty awesome in time of need.  All's well...that ends well....


My house with the big, beautiful tree..

Poor Sueberry trapped beneath the massive limb

What an amazing sight on a Saturday morning!

No comments: