Wednesday, August 31, 2005

What rapper's your delight?

I'm currently arguing with Billy about rap. (He is alive for those of you who wondered where he's been). You see, he think he's a lyrical master....here's a sample of his rappin style: "Oh Yeah, Yeah... My name is Billy T. and i'm like an ant cuz i'm low to the earth, peoplez feelin's get hurt when they find out what i'm wurth..... OOooooOOoooooo.... Its too much for you i know, but you cant deny the talent!!!!!!!!!!!" As you can see, he's far from being a master...more like a disaster!

Anyway, our discussion today is about old rap vs. new rap. I hear music now-a-days from people like M&M and billy's personal favorite, mike jones...and i'm just not entertained. I don't want to hear how you've got ho's in your HO-tel and Mr. Mathers, I'm sorry your mom was strange, but I don't want to hear your biography in the form of a 5 minute song you wrote to your daughter. Back in my day, lyrics were much less serious and harsh...like "back that thang up" ..."rumpshaker"..."I like big butts." Ok, so maybe they were all about booties...but still they were funny and entertaining. Back in the day, I could listen to a song over and over and over and still want more....I miss rappers like my bizoy, LL Cool J, the Beastie Boys, Run DMC, and Salt and Peppa. Even rap that came after them from Tupac, Biggie, Puffy, and Mase was entertaining. But, I'm just not diggin this new stuff.

Give me a station that plays 70's, 80's, and 90's and I'd be in hog heaven! So, outta my own curiousity...I'm wondering what you guys think? Old vs. New?? Which one is for you? (man, I got the rhymes...maybe i should be a rapper?)

6 comments:

Scorps1027 said...

well i think there's a big difference between fun-loving rap songs and socially conscious or serious subject matter rap, like biggie or pac. for fun-loving songs i have to agree that the songs back in the day were more fun. but nothin' beats the oldies! as for billy, tell him keep to keep trying.

Anonymous said...

give me classic rock, jazz and classical, ..and indian music once in a while,...and i'll be happy

Anonymous said...

I think some of the best rap of all time was the in Snoop-Dogg and 2-Pac's prime. Heck, 2-Pac keeps coming back from the grave to release a new album every other year.

Rap tends to be like a 2 liter bottle of coke that was sitting in the closet. It goes flat too quickly even if you never opened it.

Anonymous said...

Give me anything! Bombay Vikings, Beethoven's Greatest Hits, old fashioned real Bhangra (not the remix crap) Tupac might have been socially concious but he still refused to let go of the Ghetto stigma which eventually killed him. It doesn't make any sense to me. What were we talking about, oh yea.. music. I want lyrics and a good beat. But rap generally sucks nowadays.. k im done..

Anonymous said...

Good beats and rhymez, thats what i'm about!!!! Honestly, I enjoy rap for the way it sounds and partially the lyrics. I would agree with Anonymous that it tends to go flat pretty quickly..... But lets hear it for Mike Jones, and Paul Wall!!!!

kovoor36 said...

i am with the you, the older stuff was wayyy better than half the crap out there now. i do like some new artists out there, i.e kanye west, etc, but they are very few.