Tuesday, November 13, 2007

I had a lovely 3 days to enjoy this weekend, and boy was it nice. Not that I did anything special...just shopped for appliances and the like...preparing for our move on Saturday.

I did, however, get to catch up on some reading in between shopping and packing. I finally finished "The Kite Runner." If you haven't read it yet, you should. I would say it's the best book I have read in a very long time. Khaled Houseinni does a spectacular job in engaging the reader's interest by telling the emotional story of two young boys growing up in Afghanistan while incorporating the history of the country's political turmoil.

I've never been one to watch the news. Quite honestly, I'm oblivious about what is going in the world and what has gone on in the past. But, as I read, I felt an interest arise, and suddenly I was asking Matt a lot of questions about the things occuring in the Middle East. This book really opened my eyes to the suffering going on in the world...and I realized how blessed I am.

I admire Houseinni's ability to write a novel that note only tugs at your heart strings, but leaves you with more of an understanding of a country...its culture, its people, and its struggles. I'm not sure if I have the skill to be a profound storyteller like Houseinni...but I will die trying. ;)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

sue..if you loved that one, you'll love.."A Thousand Splendid Suns" by Khaled Housseni even more!!...
also.. a book that i recently read and loved "Left to Tell" by Imaculee Ilbagiza..

kovoor36 said...

i need to pick that one up!