Thursday, November 08, 2007

A New Glove...

I left my little humble abode as Susan Varghese this morning. But after 2.5 hours at the Social SecurityOffice, I will officially return home as Susan Thomas. It's a strange feeling. In my younger days, I hated my last name. The first day of school was a nightmare. I'd listen to the teacher call roll and get tongue tied as she'd stumble over my last name. Junior High and High School were worse because by then, the kids already made up nicknames for me...like BarGrease or Vargoose.

By the time I reached adulthood, I learned to accept my name. Yes, it was irritating as all hell to spell it out for everyone...."V as in victor. A-R....." But, it fit me...I had grown into my name and SusanV/SueVee fit me l ike a glove. And then came Matt....

When he first told me his last name I was elated. I'd finally have a prononceable last name with no spelling complications...I was excited. Until 10:30 this morning, when Varghese was scooted up to become my middle name, pushing Abraham completely out of my name...and leaving Thomas to fill in the blank at the end.

I know, I know...this doesn't mean I'm a new identity...I'm still the same ol' SueVee...Tee. But, I'm a changed identity...it's no longer me but we. It's not a bad thing...it's a different thing. A thing that will take some getting used to...Just like hearing someone call me Mrs. Thomas or having to sign my name. In a matter of months/years...It will fit me like a glove....just like being single SusanV did.

2 comments:

kovoor36 said...

i really understand your pain, i felt i needed a memorial after i had gone thru all the channels to become nkp rather than ntk. it hurt sort of. it made me feel better to keep my maiden as middle, but its still a learning curve to respond to mrs philip!!

Scorps1027 said...

wow, you're officially sueveetee now:) you'll get used to it in time just like you'll get used to be being called mrs.

i still havent' done my name change yet but i think it'll be a great idea to keep joseph as my middle name as well. i like the SJM initials.