Friday, February 03, 2006

Morning radio in Okc is oh-so-annoying. One female dj's voice is soooooo annoying, that I have to change the station every time she speaks. I usually try to listen to Christian radio in the mornings...it keeps me positive and has no commercial...but some of those songs serve as a lullaby that can put me to sleep, which isn't good when I'm driving. So, that leaves me tuned into 97.9. The thing about the morning dj's on the show is...they are basically a group of friends and they talk about thier clique, which makes you feel like you're a part of the group...they also do weird things like "piss on your ass" contests that I don't approve of, which is when I switch stations...but today, they discussed something interesting..."Broke Back Mountain" and its' success.

Before I go into this schpeel...let me clearly state one thing. I HAVE NOTHING AGAINST HOMOSEXUALS. I think people assume that Christians hate gays. But if one is TRULY a Christian, they won't hate the sinner, only the sin. That being said, I would never condone the behavior, but I'd also never turn my back on anyone who told me they were gay. In fact, I've had gay friends in my lifetime, and the guys were so much fun. I even had to go to a gay bar to pick one of them up from work and it was nothing short of interesting. So what I'm trying to say is that my opinion of the movie has NOTHING to do with my feelings about homosexuals...

Ok...sooooooooo, one of the radio guys felt that the success of the movie was only because it was a gay movie. I tend to agree. I mean, grant it...the actors did a wonderful job...no one's doubting that. But, if the movie was about a straight couple that had a sordid love affair on a mountain...there would not be half as much as hype about it as there is now. It would have been considered a cheesy romance.

I watched the movie...I found it far from spectacular. But, if you're looking for a spectacular romance...go see Tristan and Isolde!...AMAZING!!!

Now, Friday shoutoutz....

To my fwiend, John D...who has a wounded heart. This too shall pass. ;)

To me...for finally finishing my splash o' pink room!

To tax refunds coming in sooooon!!

To having only one short hour left till lunch!

have a great weekend, folks.

2 comments:

happy roy said...

i haven't seen brokeback mountain, but it seems like you're right -- the reason for its popularity is a great cast portraying a homosexual love story. i don't know if that's necessarily a bad thing b/c you if you took some great heterosexual love stories and tried to reimagine them as homosexual sagas, would they be as good?

i don't know if i'll see the movie b/c i'm not a fan of any of the actors, nor does the premise really appeal to me, but i do love ang lee and in my mind (apart from the hulk which even he regrets), he can do no wrong. =)

i'm glad you've stated what it seems like not enough christians do. you don't hate the sinner, hate the sin.

kovoor36 said...

i think there is alot of unnecessary hype over this movie. but i thought tristan and isolde looked too chessy but i shall see it now:)