Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Felix...one strange kat!

I think I'm going to hang out at the aiport more often. As I stood there leaning against a pole as I waited for my mom last night, I thought about how intriguing it would be to work at an airport. Why?...because people are so dern interesting...and where else but at an airport would you find such a wide variety of people?

Let's just take last night for instance. I was only there waiting for 10 minutes. But within that 10 minutes, I saw at least 3 characters that I would seriously make interesting subjects for short stories. But the most interesting was Felix.

I'm not sure why I chose Felix, but it just sounds like a pimp name to me. This is exactly what Felix looked like. The elevator door opened, and all i could see was a luggage cart, full of luggage. The driving force behind it was completely hidden behind the pile of suitcases. All of a sudden I saw a pair of feet slide on either side of the luggage, as if the body behind it was holding on to the cart for dear life, but the two cream alligator loafers slipped and almost lost control. Finally the feet scuffled together, and from behind the cart emerged Felix. At first, I thought he was wearing a Halloween costume, but I quickly remembered that Halloween had come and gone. Felix was wearing a light green and gold checkered suit with a long jacket and a vest. He had a green tie to match and a creme hat to match his creme shoes. I wasn't the only one who looked at him quizically. What struck me as funny was his stride. He walked around the airport as if it was completely normal for him to be dressed like a pimp in the mid-1970's, and the rest of us were stuck in a fashion time warp.

If I saw someone as interesting as Felix within the first 10 minutes at the airport...imagine what I could see in an 8 hour shift!

No comments: