Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Reminiscing about the college crew...

oneiric \oh-NY-rik\, adjective:
Of, pertaining to, or suggestive of dreams; dreamy.

My trip to the Bahamas should be an oneiric paradise!

I was reminiscing today about my college days. My mother wonders why I'm not hooked up as of yet because back then I solely hung out with guys. But what she doesn't understand is that I wasn't one of those girls who had a throng of guys around because they were attracted to me like bees on honey. Instead, I was just kinda one of them....and this is why all of them are married now..but not to me. (thankfully...no offense, guys). I know there were other girls on campus, but I guess I couldn't relate. I was definitely in that tomboy stage until my mid-twenties. (Strange, I know) I always used to buy my shirts from Structure. (sheesh..so weird!)

I remember vividly when the guys first invited me to go to lunch with them. I felt like I was finally being inducted into the brotherhood. We sat at Taco Bueno...and I listened intently while they talked about various stories of how they lit fire crackers. (so enthralling, right?) At one point, something humorous was said, and I laughed. Or should I say...I snorted. It was the first time the guys had heard me snort. It was the first time a snort had accidentally leaked out. I stopped abruptly...and so did they. They all just kinda stopped and stared at me. But, then after a few seconds, they proceeded with their nonsense...and I hung out with the brotherhood ever since.

Now my brothers are married with children. In fact, last week I went to one of the guys' house, and his little girl was tugging at his pant leg, saying "daddy, daddy"...and it was so strange to me. How is it that time has flown by so fast? Weren't we just sitting at taco bueno yesterday?...Laughing, talking, and snorting amongst each other? Now all of a sudden there is a tiny little human calling you daddy?!? It was a surreal moment.

Luckily, when I was 24 or so...I realized that it was time to start behaving like a girl. I began making gal pals and became engulfed in the drama of the sisterhood. =) Sisterhood...or brotherhood...I am a pretty lucky girl because I have great friends. They accept me and love me...snorts and all!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh snorty:) you seem to be a very loved person sue, you are indeed blessed!

Anonymous said...

OK, the reason you hung out with the guys back then is b/c the selection of female friends on campus was bad. I mean, the one girl who comes to mind that was so into herself and clueless...hell she's still into herself& clueless.... Classic comment outta her mouth, Spike Lee is a racist, uhh no he's not, Yeah he is b/c he made the film the Color Purple....yeah he's a racist b/c Spielberg made that one....what a retard.... Keep hangin wit da boyz, ya heard!!! Holla