Monday, February 29, 2016

Changing the world...one hug at a time!

I can't say that I was ever much of a hugger before getting sick.  I'm pretty sure I gave awkward hugs...and I'm pretty sure if anyone tried to give me a hug, I'd change my angle and turn it into a side hug.  But, I started realizing the importance of hugs after I got sick.

My BF has been blessed with the ability to give good hugs.  I've always thought she gave the best hugs, but I don't think I ever appreciated them as much as I do now.  These days, I pay attention to hugs and take note of how they make me feel.  At the chemo clinic in Okc, there was an angel nurse who gave amazing hugs.  At first I thought she just hugged her patients, but then noticed that even if she wasn't my nurse, she'd come by and give me a hug...no matter how busy she was.  And she didn't just give me a loosey goosey hug...She gave me a really tight hug...She hugged me like she meant it.  That hug had power in it...it cheered me up and just made me feel better.  Here in Houston, I have family who are as passionate about hugs as I now am about getting them...and they give me great ones that totally make my day!  In fact, I find myself trying to out hug them...but I've come to the realization that my arms just aren't as strong.

I know it's odd that I'm dedicating an entire blog post to this subject.  Even odder is that I was doing research on the benefits of hugs today for a few hours.  I have also done a lot of thinking about starting a non-profit organization that goes to local hospitals and hugs cancer patients. Guys, THAT'S how much I love and need hugs these days....and I absolutely know there are the people out there who could use a good hug too!  

So, I decided to share some fun facts about hugs, so the blogosphere will know how important they are...and understand how a good hug can do so much for a person who needs it!

1.  A good hug releases oxytocin in your body.  Oxytocin calms your nervous system and boosts positive emotions.  When you have a good flow of oxytocin in your body it can lower your blood pressure and lower your cortisol, or stress hormone, which in turn allows better sleep.
2.  Reduces your heart rate
3.  Boosts the immune system
4.  Builds self esteem.
5.  Increases feeling of healing

Other fun facts...
1.  We need four hugs a day for survival (which isn't good news for me because I MAYBE get four a week)...need  8 for maintenance...and 12 for growth!  (no wonder I'm short!)

2.  Hugs should last 10-20 seconds to have physical effects. (Count it out so it counts, people!)

3.  1/3 of people are touch deprived and don't get daily hugs!  (We can change that one hug at a time, folks!)

4.  A study done on babies who didn't receive hugs showed they developed slower.

Now if that didn't convince you to hug and be hugged more...maybe these adorable memes will...











1 comment:

Binz said...

Hugs :)