Monday, February 22, 2016

Ready, Set...Radiation!

My visit with the radiologist today was very informative.  Most importantly, I have a start date for therapy...A week from tomorrow!  Tomorrow I have to go back to MDA to get tattooed.  Apparently they're tattooing me with dots so they'll know where to aim the radiation.  At first I was irritated about the tattoos...but, I have an abdomen full of surgery scars anyway, so who really cares?  I wasn't planning on wearing a two piece or a crop top in this lifetime anyway.  I'm going to consider them polka dot tattoos....that will make them cute by default.  They went over the side effects...nausea, fatigue, abdominal pain.  Nothing I haven't felt before or that I'm not used to by now.  I'll get through it!

I've been thinking about being stuck in Houston...and I've felt a peace about it.  Not only have I got to spend a lot of quality time with my family, but I think God took me out of my comfort zone so I could rely more on Him and really focus on what I'm supposed to be doing during this time.  I've gotten a few amazingly encouraging cards  and a super snuggly blanket from my cancer buddy...in one of the cards he said, "The purpose God has for you is noble and by design."  That really put things into perspective for me.  I realized God brought me here to trust and rely on Him and focus on His purpose for me.

That being said, for the first time in a long time...I've been working very diligently on a writing project.  Initially it was my style...a factional piece...a lil bit fact plus a lil bit of fiction.  But, I've since changed it to all fact, and I'm really excited about it.  I'm not sure where I'm going with this or how all this will end..but for right now, I'm just following God's leading.  And as long as I'm healthy enough to keep going, I will...

For the next five weeks, going to the hospital will be my full time job.  It's only an hour a day, but I'm pretty sure it'll be exhausting.  They warned me that I'll start to feel the side effects after the 2nd week of treatment.  So, I'm going to try to make the most of my time here until then.  I'll write as much as possible and spend lots of time enjoying my Houston family...work in lots of hugs and build up a hug reserve that will hopefully get me through my hard days here.  (I truly believe hugs work better than nausea meds and pain pills!!)

Even though it was a rainy day...and I'm a solar powered girl...I was able to think positively today and  focus on the bigger picture.  Most of that is because of the package I got from my cancer buddy.  I've decided that I want to be someone like him when I grow up! Ha!  I want to be able to reach out to people...not just my friends and family...but strangers...and be empathetic and encouraging.  Please keep him in your prayers.  He received word that he has several more months of level 10 chemo now....just when he thought he was completely done with the process.  And keep me in your prayers, not just for my health, but please pray that God will reveal His plan for me...and that I can turn my focus to that plan instead of my illness.  

No comments: