Thursday, February 04, 2016

Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore....

I'm in Houston and had my first appointment with MD Anderson today. My cousin Mikey was kind enough to meet me here and accompany me to my appointments! I don't think I could have made it through the day without his support. We had a 7am start time, battled Houston traffic in time for my pet scan. The hospital is massive and there was tons of walking. I'm pretty sure I haven't walked this much since I got diagnosed...not to mention chemo has caused my feet to become so calloused that it's now pretty painful to walk. (Tomorrow I will soak my poor little feet and give them the TLC they deserve) Although MD Anderson is an extremely efficient hospital, it didn't take me too long to realize that I'm not in OKC anymore...under the protective wing of my little angel dr. H...things are different here.  I'm in a massive hospital where EVERYONE has cancer and I'm just one among the many. Unfortunately, things weren't set up the way I had hoped. I didn't get to meet with both the surgeon and the oncologist. I only saw the oncologist and I'm waiting for the referral appointment with the surgeon to go through. This will most likely require extending my trip. And although there is no place like home...and OKC is definitely where my heart is...I am so glad that if I'm stuck in a city...it's a city where 40% of my family lives! I'm so grateful to Ansleykins for opening up her home to me! I feel comfortable and well taken care of! I have lots of other cousins, uncles, and aunts who are willing to help and support in any way they can.  So yes, it's a hiccup..and hiccups are always annoying...but I have to focus on the positive aspects as well and remember i am still blessed! And trust me after an 8 hour day at the hospital, I wasn't feeling this optimistic but I had some encouraging calls and texts that helped me see the brighter side of things!

No comments: