Sunday, February 28, 2016

Weekend in Review...

I've lost track of how many weekends in review I've had here in Houston.  I sometimes just can't believe how long I've been here...and how much longer I'll be here still.  Tuesday I start treatment.  I'm nervous...just because I don't really know what to expect.  But, I think I'll get through it ok.  This weekend...like the others...went by in a flash.  

Friday, I decided to get out and explore a bit.  I went to Rice Village...which is the area around Rice University.  It's uber nice down there, but has very limited parking.  At first I freaked out, but then I calmed down and told myself..."You came all this way.  You're not turning back!!"  So I roamed around and found a parking garage!  I proceeded to walk around a bit...but, you can only have so much fun walking in and out of shops when you're alone and ONLY window shopping.  Since I've been off of chemo for 3 weeks, I thought it was safe to get a much needed pedicure.  My poor little footsies have been getting really calloused due to treatment, so I decided to treat them to some much needed TLC.  I think the lady who did my pedicure noticed how sad my feet were because she gave me the best foot and leg massage I've ever had in my life.  That night, my friends picked me up for dinner....It's so nice to have friends in this city as well!  They surprised me with kori kotta's...for you non-Indian readers...those are my absolute favorite indian treat!  They're dough balls filled with coconut flakes seeped in brown sugar deliciousness...trust me, they're amazing!  We also discussed the latest and greatest Malayalam movies, and when I got home I spent the rest of the evening watching one called, "Life is Beautiful."  Out of a 3 thumbs up scale (3 for Hrithik Roshan who is a hindi actor with 3 thumbs)...  I give the movie 1.5 thumbs up.  Story line could have used some work.  

Saturday, I spent the entire day on my balcony reading my new Jhumpa Lahiri booked called the Lowland.  I keep trying to like her writing.  I mean, she's a pulitzer prize winner, after all.  Try as I might...I just can't get into it.  But I will force myself to read the book till the end.  I'm sure the story line is great...but it's just the way she tells the story that makes me fall asleep if I'm not sitting up and reading the book.  I'm more into authors like John Green...I know he writes teen books like Fault in our Stars...but he's just so darn witty.  After a full day of basking in the sun with my book, A came to pick me up for her fancy pants birthday dinner.  I usually miss out on her events because she's here in Texas and I'm in Oklahoma, so it was really nice to be here to celebrate with her.  She let me put on her eyeshadow for her and curl her hair...and she wore the dress I picked out for her!  She looked supa cute!  Since we all were getting dolled up, we decided Milo should get dressed up too.  He didn't get to come out with us, but he did wear his bow tie and take a picture with his Mom.  I had a few mixed emotions Saturday night.  Not only was it Ansley's fancy
pants birthday dinner, but it was the night of Paycom Prom.  The one night a year I throw aside my basketball shorts and Biggie tee and get totally dolled up with my friends and have so much fun.  This year, I clearly couldn't go.  My friends were sending me pictures all night, which made me really happy.  I was totally glad to see them having fun because I know they've been busting their tails all year long.  But, it also made me sad...that event is usually tradition...something I normally do every year....and it made me realize yet again how far my life is from normal.  I was grateful to go out with Ansley and her crew so I could have a distraction...but going out bald was also a hard pill to swallow.  While the girls curled and straightened...I tried to "act" like I was fixing my hair too...by trying to tame the little wisps with mousse.   It's one thing to be hairless in jeans and a shirt...but when you're dressed up and hairless...it's just weird.  Nevertheless we took a group pic...and although I'm not too crazy about my hairdo...I'll post it anyway...because it is my reality now.  Note to all you ladies...do not wear a romper on a night where you will be out for hours.  
I so stupidly went to the bathroom and realized there's no way I could go to the bathroom wearing that thing...Unless I took the entire thing off.  Needless to say...I never went to the bathroom.  Who invented rompers anyway?  So not practical!!

Sunday, I spent the entire day with the namesake and the kiddos.  We went to the ranch!  My nephew, JP got to zip line, and I took an amazing video that I was going to share on the blog...except that I thought I was hitting record, but I wasn't.  He wasn't too crazy about doing the entire thing again for the sake of me catching it on video...so you can just take my word for it.  It looked really fun!!  Butttt, not fun enough for me to do for myself!!

No comments: