Wednesday, March 16, 2005

Dealin' with the Fear Factor...

My entire life I have been pretty scared to take a chance in fear of failure. The only time I truly put myself "out there" was when I sought a publisher for my book. Honestly, I can't credit my own bravery for that either. The driving force behind that search was my professors, peers, and friends.

I pretty much enjoy playing it safe and dreaming from a distance. A buddy of mine wants to open his own coffee shop, but fears the risk and the potential failure. So, instead of pursuing his dream, he works his 9-5 and lets his unhappiness eat away at his spirit. Hmm...sound familiar? It often amazes me how I give the best advice to others and don't take the advice myself. This struck me when I heard myself tell him "don't live your life fearfully, but fearlessly." Even better... was when I was talking to my cousin Ashley,a senior in high school. She complained that her parents were holding her back from living her life...and I said to her, "Ash, the only person who can hold you back is you." She looked at me wide-eyed with that "wow, SusanChechi's so wise look"...so far from the truth.

The truth being that I am a PROFESSIONAL advice giver. But as for me and my own life, I choose to live in the confines of my fear. Ever the lecturer, my BF part 2, Dains harps at me to step out and deal with my fear factor. Typically, I listen with my head down, and Sonia, BF part 1, tells him to quit harping, hugs me and assures me it's okay. But is it okay?...

Not so much. A year ago, someone told me to pursue freelance writing, but I was too scared. I mean, A. I'm a fiction writer, B. what if I send in an article and the readers think it sucks, C. I just CAN'T do it. Last night, I was surfing on the web, looking for a new hairstyle...when I come across this website that needs freelance writers for web content. I sat and stared at the ad for a few moments, convinced myself I wouldn't qualify, and called it a night.

This morning, I went back to the site...stared at it a bit longer and decided to email them my resume. Folks, I'm now a freelance writer for some hair website (as silly as it sounds). My first article is about "hairstyles in the work place."...it's going to be like blogging, but about hair! I approach my assignment with excitement. I'm about to embark upon an unknown territory...but, I figure...what I want to do is WRITE...and I'm unhappy because I'm NOT WRITING...so why not give it a shot?

3 comments:

happy roy said...

i think that's awesome!! i think it's such a shame when talented people forego pursuing their passions out of an exaggerated fear of failure. i'm so glad you took that step! i was going to do something similar a few weeks about, but it was writing about fashion (how much more perfect for me could it get!?) but i chickened out. =( maybe i'll follow your example...one of these days. =)

Anonymous said...

i can't wait to read it...

Anonymous said...

Yay!! Congratulations Sue!