Tuesday, March 22, 2005

Some "smurfy" memories...

I received a call this morning on my way to work. As usual, I couldn't rummage through the clutter of my purse fast enough to find my phone. When I finally pulled it out of the black abyss of my purse, I had missed a call from SunuA. With a raised brow, I wondered why she would be calling me so early. Surely, something catastrophic must have occurred.

SA: You're not going to believe what's on channel 25.
SV: What is it kid?
SA: I just can't believe it.
SV: WHAT?!?
SA: The Smurfs is on.

I was all concerned and worried, and she was calling about smurfs?! I've never been a huge fan of the smurfs. Grant it, they are kinda cute, but in 8th grade my English teacher pointed out that they used the noun "smurf" as an adjective "smurfy" and adverb "smurfily." At the time, we thought she was an under-cover nazi, so the class brought all our little plastic smurf collectibles and placed them all over her class...even in her coffee cup.

After I studied grammar in college, I realized she was right. I could finally appreciate her opinion, and I became anti-smurf myself. But, I must agree that "The Smurfs" was a real cartoon. And I definitely miss real cartoons. I mean, when I was a kid, the best part of the weekend was waking up early on Saturdays to watch cartoons till noon. The summers were even better because you got your daily dosage of the Flinstones, Jetsons, Fat Albert..etc...without worrying about making it to the bus stop on time.

These poor kids today are seriously missing out. Occasionly I do wake up early on Saturday mornings. Nothing's on. Most of what I see is reality TV type shows for kids. That's really sad. I'm beginning to realize how detrimental reality TV is to American television and entertainment. What happened to creating shows and cartoons based off of the imagination and creativity of brilliant writers? What happened to real actors?

I'd like to pledge not to watch another reality show again, but I've already kicked the junk food habit and the biting nails habit...and quite frankly, kicking one more bad habit might be just a wee too much for me to handle right now...causing a relapse. So, I won't even go there. But, I will say that I'm quite glad I was born in the 70's because I got to experience things like real cartoons, real sitcoms, and REAL music. My condolensces to these children who will one day say..."you remember that show when we were kids...how there was this one girl and she had to pick a husband from 25 guys?"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

yo yo, smurfz are off the chain son!!!! but i think smurfette was a straight goat roper feel me, .... i think she was a tranvestite b!!!!

Anonymous said...

I used to love the Smurfs...

...until my ex's former roomate said I remind him of "Smurfette" when my ex asked him if he thought I was cute.

Smurfette was the town ho!! I ain't no ho!

well...