Thursday, March 24, 2005

In response to a fellow blogger...

I read a very interesting post by one of my blog brothers about freedom in the flog/blog world. My post isn't really a rebuttal but more like my take on the subject. I think freedom is something we all crave, but there are many things that stifle being free: your mind, your family, your church, your morals, your friends, your community...seriously, the list could be endless. But, ultimately YOU control what does or doesn't inhibit your freedom. For instance, my religion tells me that I can't pierce my ears. But, I say to hell with manmade rules, I'm wearing earrings. Now, although I know the opinion of the church and the possible reprecussions, I decided that it's my freedom of choice to pierce my ears...because well, they're MY ears.

Now, let's talk about the flog/blog world. Do any of us really know each other? Some of us do because we actually know each other outside of the flog/blog community. But for the most part, we only know our fellow flog/bloggers by the pictures we post and the captions we write. And in all honestly, that's only a small fraction of who we are. We choose what we post, knowing full well that whatever we reveal on flog/blog is how we are perceived. Now, some of us don't care how we're perceived and others might. For example, I once wrote in a caption that I'm painfully shy, and a flog sister posted that she would have never guessed that because I seem as if I'm a leader and outgoing. But, that is because I don't want to make myself look like the shy dork I truly am.

All this brings me to my final thought. We can be who we want to be. We can post what we want to post. We can reveal all of ourselves or just a part of ourselves. It doesn't matter because it's our freedom to do so. However, people...for as long as they have breath...will have their opinions, so we have to be prepared for that. Either fight for freedom (as humans have been doing for centuries)...keep being who you are... or let it get to you and conform your thoughts and expressions to match the mores of your community. But in the end, the decision is all yours. You have freedom...just grasp it.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree, you have the freedom to post whatever you want on your flog/blog, but definitely be prepared for any fallout.

Anonymous said...

true.. but if it is about someone else, or if it hurts another person in any way, it's not wise to write what ever you want.
It's common courtesy. Be nice to others =)

Sue V. said...

my point exactly, nik...if you're mean or rude to someone...that obviously goes against the mores of the community. And if that's what you choose to do...be prepared for the wrath/commentary/opinions that follow.

Scorps1027 said...

This reminds me of a quote by P.J. Rourke.."There's only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." In order words, if you act like an ass, dont' be surprised when ppl call you an a$$hole.

Anonymous said...

I agree with scorps, if you WRITE like an CONDESCENDING, SELF-AGGRANDIZING, PUNK-A$$, INTELLECTUAL,..definitely expect some comments along that line.

Sue V. said...

aggrandizing-To make appear greater; exaggerate:

Billy, easy there killer. I will punish you for being posting meanness by stepping on your toe when I see you next.

happy roy said...

hey sue, i just heard about what prompted this blog. i didn't know before, or else i would have posted either. i WHOLEHEARTEDLY agree with everything you've said. it all boils down to common courtesy.

i'm glad you said what you said though i wish it hit home for some people. =)

happy roy said...

oops, i meant to say that i would have read this post and commented EARLIER not either. that should teach me to reread before i click publish.