Monday, March 21, 2005

A Tribute to Sunu...On this, her 25th *and holding* birthday...

I went to school with Sunu. She was a grade older than me. Although I would see her around all the time, we never talked. She was what you would call "Ms. Popular-teen" of the Indian community. And me? Well, I never lived in the Indian community before I moved to Oklahoma, so I was still trying to figure things out. So, I did what any self-respecting akward teenage tom-boy would do...I decided I didn't like her. This dislike only increased when she signed my autograph book on the last day of my 8th grade year. She wrote, " To a great guy." After which, she crossed out "guy" and replaced it with "gal." I wasn't impressed. To me, it was attack on my tomboyhood.

In highschool, I moved up on the scale of Indian socialites. I went from a "Sue who?" to a "Sue, you know...Sunu's friend Sheba's friend." This meant I got to deliver notes from Sunu to Sheba from Sheba to Sunu. Lucky me. I had no clue how I assumed this position. God knew, their friendship nauseated me. I would cringe when I walked into Sheba's room and read the banner on her wall..."Sunu and Sheba Smile Sexy So Smile Sunu and Sheba Style." HURL! GAG! BLEH! Somehow my delivery service stopped soon after it started. I assumed they probably thought I was reading their notes. I mean come on, what self-respecting akward teenage tom-boy WOULDN'T read their notes?!? She never questioned me on it, nor did we ever talk. We had a world history class together and sat at opposite ends.

After highschool we parted ways. Somehow, a few years later, I met her younger sister, Sonia. It was friendship at first sight. We went from being fast friends to inseperable friends to best friends. And that's when I had to tell the self respecting akward teenage tomboy in me to stop drinking that hatorade long enough to see what Sunu was all about...since Sunu and Sonia came in a packaged deal.

Never in a zillion years would I think that she and I could become such close friends. I definitely regret not being friends with her during my school days because we would have probably had a lot of fun times. But, I am thankful that she's in my world now. We are definitely polar opposites...she loves Hindi music, irons her underwear, takes 5 hours to get ready...and I am all about 80's/retro music...my idea of ironing is shaking out wrinkles...and getting ready is no more than a 20 minute process. But, regardless of these differences...we have a lot in common... We are each other's shoulders to lean. I love her most because she laughs at my dumb jokes and makes me feel smart when she says I'm a deep thinker....and because I know that I can count on her for anything...to pick me up when we go out, so I won't get lost...to listen to me whine when I'm depressed...to loan me 20 bucks even if she doesn't have it. =) She reminds me of what friendship's all about

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am happy you have found each other as well :)

Scorps1027 said...

awww! sunu is lucky to have you too!

Anonymous said...

lol i TOTALLY remember that damn "Sunu smiles so sexy so smile Sunu style"...on one hand, I thought I was bad grammar to say "Sunu style"...but on the other, Sunu was the cool girl, so I had to do it too...

meanwhile, i love SunuA =) a happiest birthday to her (even though its been over for almost an hour-and-a-half)