Friday, August 10, 2007

Suevee pretending to be CarrieBee

I have a confession to make. I came to grips with the fact that I'm an addict at approximately 2 am this morning. It was my dealer who got me hooked. She seems to know when I need a fix...and then brings over the goods in exchange for chocolate bon-bons. Last night, she recognized my need for a pick-me-up and brought me seasons 3 & 4 of "Sex and the City," and I stayed up till the wee hours of the morning watching my favorite girls.

So this morning's post is inspired by none other than....Carrie Bradshaw. *Envision me sitting in front the laptop (I wish I owned) writing the following question*

Are weddings really worth all the hassle?

I recently heard about an Indian girl who spent $80,000.00 on flowers for her table centerpieces...JUST centerpieces. Her wedding story was on one of those "dream weddings" shows on cable. The person who told me about it assumed that since I too was Indian...I'd be having a wedding just as extravagent. I chuckled and said, "uh, not quite."
It's really INSANE how much things cost these days. I feel like the wedding industry is THE industry to be involved in because women have all these dreams and visions of their perfect wedding... so while their head is in the clouds, their emotions are running wild, and their sensibility is out the window...you can make a fortune. But the question is...is it worth spending thousands of dollars on flowers that die, dresses no one's ever going to wear again, and food for people you barely know or like...all for ONE day of your life?

At one point in time, I would have vehemently exclaimed, "YES!" But now, I'm not so sure. Luckily, I haven't spent thousands upon thousands of dollars on things. Our wedding is a very DIY (do it yourself) wedding. I've saved bundles on centerpieces and decorations and stuff. I'll admit to a few splurges here and there...my dress, the photographer and such...but I've tried my derndest to remain practical. But, it's the work and over all stress behind it that makes me question if weddings are really worth the hassle. It's been a bit of a pain to work full time, meet vendors during my lunch hour, stay on top of things, and deal with comments that make me question my taste...and ultimately turn my brain into a flakey, undecisive piece of mush.

Don't get me wrong...I look forward to our wedding day. I just wish that the process was smooth and easy and fun. This is precisely why I decided to seriously pursue becoming a wedding planner...not so much for monetary purposes...but to help the "process" go a bit smoother for other brides and remove the stress factor out of what should be the happiest day of one's life.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm with you sister, i wish you were my wedding planner!!! I've had people make some of the rudest comments to me, and all i can do is sit there and take it. Well I've had about enough, and the next time someone makes a catty comment about MY special day i'm going to punch them!!!! Good luck to you, toodles!!!!

Anonymous said...

guess what poo...there's a sex & the city movie coming out soon =)

kovoor36 said...

do your day the way you want with no apologies. i mean i tried to keep a budget and still ended up going over, but i still cut corners everywehre i could!! good luck with the wedding planning, it defly is a booming industry!!

Anonymous said...

i'm so with the others...do what you wanna do...its YOUR day...as for the stress, i think there's a natural anxiety level for every wedding...but then when things get out of control and there's no one to control them? yeah, that's when you end up with an indian outfit for a bridesmaid that smells like pee, groomsmen who stay with the bride and bridesmaids who stay everywhere else, and a bridal party that shows up an hour late to the wedding hall.

but let's not go there.