Tuesday, August 14, 2007

I do have a post...I do, I do...Excuse me while I make a reference to "SATC"...There's an episode where Miranda and Carrie get into a huge fight in the middle of a thrift store because Miranda is tired of wiping Carrie's tears after she breaks up with a guy who is horrible for her...yet that she still keeps going back to. I realized at that moment that Carrie Bradshaw annoys me because she's not strong enough to resist putting herself in a position that has proved to be detrimental to her emotional well-being. However, she comes off as strong, smart, and independent...Is she a poser?

The real question is...Am I poser? I'm judging a fictional character for her weakenesses when I do exactly the same thing! I might not have a Mr. Wrong in my life, but I do have people in my life that are not good for my emotional well-being...yet I don't bother to draw lines or keep them a safe distance away to where I am not affected by them. I don't believe in cutting people out of your life, but I do believe that people are constantly evolving and changing. So in order to have a successful relationship with someone, you have to work around the change and evolution.
For example, I've had a friend since childhood. Since I was a little bit older than her, I matured before she did. She was wrapped up in the "drama" that most 20-somethings get involved in while I was in search of a drama-free existence as a 30-something. She felt that my drawing an "emotional" line of separation was me pushing her out of my life...but it wasn't so. I was just merely giving myself space in order to prevent suffocation. Now, 4 years later, our relationship is great!! When we get together, we appreciate our time together, we reflect on the old days, have great conversations, and get along with out any drama. We needed that space and time in order to be functional friends.

With some people, it's not as easy to draw that line of separation. They haven't quite reached that level of emotional suffocation...but, I find myself feeling continuously sad because of their actions. Is there really a need for that? Why do I keep going back for more? I think when you better understand yourself and your "needs" in a relationship...and actually have the strenghth to stand up for yourself and stop getting emotionally trampled...you are able to draw lines that are sometimes very necessary. Until then...you somehow feel compelled to live by the "BFF rule" that was established in your mind some time between junior high and high school.

2 comments:

kovoor36 said...

you are better than me... because i tried to constantly fix and keep a friendship a float until i finished school and decided i had zero time for friends liek these and have cut contact. it stinks, especially to think back to so many treasured memories, but i cant think of any other way to handle thgins, and i believe my life is better without dead weight and drama. im glad its worked out for you!

Scorps1027 said...

I think the thing about Carrie is she IS strong and independent, but she's also figuring things out as she goes along, much like all of us. even strong, resilient ppl struggle with life and love and learning how to rid someone toxic in your life.

i'ts tough cutting ppl out of your life. the finality of it can be scary and there is so much residual guilt along with it. the longer you know the person, the harder it is to have a clean break.

i think esp. with carrie you see her struggle and fumble and learn her lessons sometimes the hard way,but she does learn something out of life all the time. she is conscious of her mistakes and her life lessons. i think also miranda is admirable too, because she put her foot down and walked out not because she was mean or selfish, but b/c she loved carrie so much as a friend she coudlnt' watch her hurt herself again and be there to pick up the pieces. sometimes that's equally as hard.