Monday, August 08, 2005

Curly or Straight...the great debate...



I woke up late this morning...as i usually do on Monday mornings...and I had 30 minutes to get ready. My hair had to be washed...but no time for styling. It was then that I had a moment of realization...an epiphany of sorts...and I sighed with great relief as I thought, "thank God for curly hair!"

For the first five glorious years of my life, i had silky, straight hair. I'm not sure what happened but it went from straight to wavy and wavy to insane curls. I hated my hair and mourned for the silky straightness. I blamed it on Oklahoma water...because it didn't go completely curly till i moved to this treacherous place! However, I know that it has little to do with Oklahoma and a lot to do with my father.

My pops had the funniest curly hair. I would often try to comb his curls straight and place a barette in it to pull it back. However his curls would just pop out of the barette like a spring and form a perfect curl on top of his head. This is apparently who I can thank for the mop I now possess.

Then came the straight iron...It has been the answered prayer of every naturally curly haired kid! I almost get some sick sort of pleasure when I glide the machine across my curly lock and watch the steam arise from my frying strands as it miraculously becomes straight. However, lately the process seems to be very tiring. It's so much easier to jump out of the shower...towel dry my hair...put some mousse in it and be done!

Most people I talk to with curly hair want it straight...and those with straight hair love the curls...rarely...very rarely do i meet someone who is perfectly happy with their hair. i guess it's the "grass is greener on the other side" effect. i for one would love to have long, silky black straight hair, however...i only try to achieve that look on very special occasions. it's way too much work for me to handle on a daily basis. this girl's got curls...and i'm tired of fighting it. =/

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

poo...u know i love ur hair straight!!! it looks great curly too, but i think straight is more u. also...my sis told me that the revlon straight iron is no longer
$19.99 but $14.99...how awesome is that?!? it works fine...don't go spend ur money on anything expensive! miss u.

Anonymous said...

poo...u and i are in the SAME boat...i have the curliest hair EVER...and on those days that i dont have time to get my hair straightened i like that i can leave it curly... and people actually seem to like it...but i HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE it!!!!! so i was totally grateful when my sis gave me her straightener...she's a lifesaver, that one =)

happy roy said...

i think you're fortunate b/c you have curly hair that looks great straight as well. some people can only pull off one look. i enjoy having everything from straight to wavy to curly b/c it keeps me from getting bored or restless.

Shawn said...

I got my big old fro up on top of my head and I am content with it. I mean yea it is hot and thick most days, but it takes zero effort besides throwing some gel on it in the morning. Of course everyone is like "oh i love it when your hair is straight" blah blah but that lasts like 5 minutes and then it turns frizzy and the whole allure is gone.

it almost annoys me when people say they like the straight hair better because that isn't who i am. I am a curly haired girl and the straight hair is like a character i am playing. when people say they like that one better it makes me sad to think they dont think the natural me is as pretty.

Scorps1027 said...

the reason you love your curly hair is precisely the reason i want some! having the same hair all the time can grow boring.

kovoor36 said...

i wish i could do either or with ease, straightening is a pain and curly needs abt 1000 products to hold! my fave hair accesory is a thick elastic to hold it up!:) i like yours both ways too, but straight is really nice on you!