Thursday, August 25, 2005



When pointy heeled shoes first became "in style"...I vowed to myself that I would never become a slave to fashion. I mean, no amount of cuteness would be worth wearing those ugly, witch shoes. But somehow, seeing EVERYONE wear them began to change the messages in my brain. Suddenly they became cute and top priority on my "must have" list. I bought a pair...not only did I buy a pair...I bought a pair that's way too big for me. Why? Because they were on sale...and I just couldn't pass up the deal. Never mind the fact that my size 8 foot was way too small for the size 9 shoe. Did I ever stop to think about the consequences? Of course not...not then.

Not until I started wearing them. They made me feel very "corporate" when I wore them with my fav slacks and buttoned down shirt. But then I noticed the little "problem"...my foot kept slipping out of them. I had to run across the street to get to the office and almost got run over by a car that had no patience for pedestrians...all because my foot slipped out of the shoe while I was in the middle of the street, and I had to recuperate and try to find the shoe which had flung off my feet into the middle of the road. When I got to my office, I thought I'd be smart and stuff the toe with kleenex. THAT plan had to be fool proof. Not so much. My poor toe keeps shoving it's way deeper and deeper into the narrow depths of my shoe...and now my toes will never...EVER be the same again. it's just not easy being cute!!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

lolz poo...only you =) well, it'd happen to me too, i'm sure...

well at least you lived your very own version of that scene from "the wedding planner" =P =)

kovoor36 said...

i totally hear you! i say i dont care about squeezing various parts of me into crazy things in the name of fashion, then it seems too cool to avoid! and since i have size 10 feet, they are often showver into cute tiny shoes that have me crippled by the end of the day. no one wins!;)

kovoor36 said...

showver? i meant shoved:)

happy roy said...

i still remember my sophomore year in college (1998-1999) when my friend introduced me to this style of shoe and promised me that they'd be THE style in a few years. (i have no idea how she knew these things, but she was always very fashion-forward). i p-shahed and told her that no way would you shove my feet in them.

and yet i wear them often now. i must admit that they do look pretty sweet with a nice pair of slacks or a pencil skirt at work.

anyway, sue, you should try these heel sticker things that dr. scholl's sells. (you can get them free from shoe stores too -- go to the store you bought the shoes from and ask them). they're like adhesive strips that you attach to the back of the shoe where your heel sits. it adds a very tiny but noticeable difference to the fit of your shoe. plus, the thin cushion helps in preventing your heel from slipping out.

Anonymous said...

Oh, I just read this, and i was loving it!!!! I love my stilleto's and wear them to sleep, you go girl keep wearing those high heels... I wish i could wear them on my hands!!!!!!Toodles!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

i never liked the pointy shoes either sue.. i thought they were ugly on me.. but i liked them on others. So my friend Lina said, when you start wearing it others would think you look hot in them also... DITTO!!

you should've bought your size though.. you silly monkey =)

Anonymous said...

Oh I luv'd this about the shoes!!!! I have done the exact same thing , buying shoes that were cute but soooo much bigger than me, and well....tragically that is how i lost my pinky toes on both feet........I thought the pain/anguish/itching had passed but nooooo.... I hope you never lose pinky toes.....

Scorps1027 said...

as a girl that owns wayyyy too many pointy shoes, my advice to you is never EVER get shoes that dont' fit right. it hurts enough to wear heels, why add the extra stress of falling out of them?

daycruz said...

methinks there is too much talk about shoes here.. lets talk about guns and cars..

Anonymous said...

I love this blog. It is so good to hear other girls have the same pointy shoe likes/experiences as me. I also thought I would never be caught dead in a pair of pointy toe shoes but once I saw how cute they looked peeking out from under my jeans I was hooked! Now that's about the only type shoe I wear and it seems like I'm always looking for something higher and pointier. Who new "fashion" could be such an irresistible force?

Andrea

Shawn said...

you MUST go to Aldo and buy this shoe pad that you put inside the shoe - on the front end of the shoe - that keeps your foot from slipping. Great invention - super cheap (like 5 dollars)!