Wednesday, August 10, 2005

I'm trippin!...(down memory lane)

I'm having a nostalgic moment... Monday was my friend Sherry's birthday, so I'm taking her out to dinner tonight. We have been friends for 18 years. A. that makes me feel blessed and B. that makes me feel old!! We met when we were in 7th grade and have been friends ever since. We had many misadventures all through out junior high and high school. Basically she was the white version of me and strangely enough, our teachers used to get us mixed up. I'd get her bad grades and she'd get my good grades all because of mistaken identity. She also suffered with me when the cowboys were out for some lil injun' blood. It was guilt by association. One morning we were walking to class and found them waiting in front of the building. They pummeled us into the snow...aahhh, the memories. =/

then we finally graduated...and we were off to college. we never dormed together, but we did car pool. sherry was the girl who helped me get over my fear of highway driving...and now i find it enjoyable and sometimes theraputic at times. we arrived at uco with band scholarships...and then are band geekdom commenced. we discovered that college band was worse than high school band...at least the latter was fun. but in college our uniforms were dorkier, the football games were lamer, and we did concerts in small towns like Pawhuska, Oklahoma. where and what the hell is that? I've been there and still don't know. we didn't do a great job of making friends that year...but we formed our own sherry and susan secret society where we nicknamed all the band geek strangers around us.

ghosty was our band director. his real name was dr. howell, but we called him ghosty because he looked like the ghost on the subway in the movie ghost. then there was denise...i have no idea what her real name was but we called her denise, or da-knees rather...because she had a wad of fat by her knees and that fat was always showing because she wore the shortest tightest shorts!! then there was david, the guy was a dead ringer for this kid named david who went to elementary school with me. but eventually, i learned that david's real name was ben...and he is now sherry's husband of 7 years!! finally there was Sigma Tau Gamma, or ETT as Sherry and I called him. He was the hottest frat boy in the band...Sherry didn't notice him at first, but I did. He sat across from me and played trumpet. He had long, blonde locks and looked ever-so-fine. Sherry didn't notice him till months later when he cut his hair and looked even hotter than before. I admitted I didn't point him out earlier because I didn't feel like sharing my eye candy. ;)

and now, 18 years later...we hardly see each other...call each other every few weeks...but when we do get together, it's like nothing's ever changed. We pick up where we left off...and the friendship is comfortable and familiar. We're on two different galaxies right now..she's a stay at home mom...and i'm a...yah, i'm not so sure what i am....but regardless we're definitely not on the same page. But, it doesn't matter...because we respect each other...and care for each other...and I'm positive that 18 years from now...when i'm old and decrepid...I'll be writing another tribute to her on her 49th birthday.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

sue - its great to have friends like that. they don't come in bunches but just to have one is a lifetime of happiness:)