Thursday, May 10, 2007

I've got a strange song in my head....

"I've got jungle feva, she's got jungle feva...we've got jungle feva now." (i don't have jungle fever and i have no idea why this song is continually playing in my head!)

You know, short of a few people at my work who think it's kinda cool that I'm a pee-on by day and writer by night....and Andy, the ever-faithful mailman, who has seen me through the entire publishing process....no one ever really asks me how my book is doing. Actually, that's quite alright by me, because I hate explaining it...or should I say, defending it. I have to break into my usual schpeel..."well, it's out there in the bookstores...it's just really hard to market...it's tough for first time novelists to get their name out there...I can't concentrate on marketing AND bringing home a pay check..royalty checks trickle in on the occasion."...etc, etc.

But, truth be told...while I convince those who ask, I'm convincing myself. I've kinda sorta put "The World From My Fire Escape" to rest...thinking that my next project will be better...and the next time around I'll do it right. I'll put myself out there more...I'll have Matt to help me market...I'll...I'll......................

And yah, I was content with that because I was too tired to do anything else about it. And then...............BAM.

I wasn't trying, I wasn't looking...but marketing found me....3 years after the fact, but hey...better late than never. I was tickled pink by the fact that I get to do a session in this year's book festival. I've been wanting to do one for 3 years now, but it was like I was always a day late and a dollar short. Of course, thinking of standing up in front of a room of strangers and talking makes me vomit in my mouth, but I'll get over it...I have to. I pretty much thought that was the best news of the month until.......i got an email from a producer of a television show on literacy. he wants to meet with me for an interview. Yep...SueVee's gonna be on TV!

I have got to get my act together and come out of my shy shell...or else I'm gonna make a fool outta myself....Please send me positive thoughts. I've been asking myself questions while looking in the mirror...and I haven't been able to answer one question without laughing!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

*happy thoughts, happy thoughts, happy thoughts*

that's so exciting, poo! when and what channel?? don't be nervous...you'll do GREAT. and i'm glad things are working out for you =)

Anonymous said...

OMG How AWESOME SUE!!! You'll do greattt I know it!!

kovoor36 said...

oh wow! things are really happening for you! 07 is soooooooooo your year!! good luck, i know you will be fabulous!!:)

Anonymous said...

dont forget about the little people when you become famous suevee =)

blissfullykrissy said...

You're awesome and you are going to do awesome! I'm so proud of you.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! You will do just fine, just let us know of when and what channel to watch.

Scorps1027 said...

tha'ts wonderful, suevee!!! just put on your favorite shirt and think about how much you've wanted this opportunity and then just get out there and wow them to death:)

Anonymous said...

Jungle Fever = An interracial relationship between an African-American and a Caucasian

Remember the Spike Lee movie?

Anonymous said...

don't worry sue. public speaking is not that hard at all! it's a matter of knowing what to say and relating to your audiene which you are awesome at! i just took a public speaking class so I can help =]

Anonymous said...

Sue! I need details! When & where is this book signing/meet&greet affair. I would love to be in the audience. And also when, where, and on what channel is the world going to discover the adeptness of the one we have come to know and love????

Anonymous said...

Anyone -- please!!! What year did the "Jungle Fever" song come out? I have to know. My dating life depends on it!!!