Tuesday, October 30, 2012

I'm so behind on all my shows...Luckily I have DVR.  But, for some reason, on Sunday nights my DVR is set to record Dateline and it cuts off 20 minutes of it every time.  Last Sunday's episode was especially interesting...It was about an African American woman whose father was a football player.  She was raised affluently and had no real connection with her family or the African American community.  After getting married and having her own family, she realized the importance of understanding her culture.  She took a class in college that required to research her family background...and she discovered that her grandfather was a hero in the civil rights movements.  He worked for a white restaraunt and owned a colored restaraunt.  Apparently he could recite the menu of the white restaraunt by memory and speedily.  So, when a documentary film maker came to the town to interview white Americans on their race views, he was the only black man that they interviewed...simply to hear him recite the menu.  But he not only used his time on tape to recite that...he also told the interviewer his feelings on how poorly he and other blacks were treated...although he knew doing so could lead to his death.  I'd love to tell you the rest of the story, but that's right about when the damn DVR stopped. 

Luckily I ran into my friend Ben..who is also a dead ringer for Jimmy Fallon...at Walmart as we frantically searched for last minute Halloween candy....and he told me about hulu.com.  Not only can I watch my chopped up episodes of dateline...But Hello again Kardashians, Joisey Shore huligans, and the rest of my  reality shows.  Should I? Shouldn't I?  Life has been pretty peaceful with just watching prime time and House Hunters and Pioneer Woman.  Maybe I should just keep this new leaf turned.

No comments: