Tuesday, October 16, 2012

TV Tuesday...Pissed Off Edition...

How could he?  How could my main man, Adam Levine not pick Benji?!?  I was slightly floored because all three other judges unanimously said that Benji had the better performance!  And, although I'm not much of a fan of the "scream-o" genre...I thought he did a lot better than his contender too....and I swear, I'm not being brown bias.

I don't know Benji personally, but I'm hoping he won't quit his dream of being a musician.  I know he's invested a lot of years into it, and sometimes it seems like you've only got one shot to make it happen. But, I don't really believe that...I think that he has a talent that no one can take from him...and I'd like to think he would keep trying...

Most Indian kids...especially Malayalee kids...don't pursue "out-of-the-box" careers...They don't typically have a lot of guidance or a lot of people rooting them on.  I have a soft spot for kids like that because I was a kid like that.  I will never forget when I sent the first chapter of my book to an agent, who just so happened to be half Indian.  She sent a letter back, and ripped me to shreds.  She basically told me I was just like every other Indian writer who wrote the "Indian immigrant" story and that I needed to take writing classes...I think it was even more devastating because she was Indian.  I wanted to send her a copy of my book after it published...but I decided she was entitled to her opinion, and I was just glad that not everyone agreed with her.

If I could give Benji a piece of advice...or any other person trying to pursue an "out-of-the-box" career...I would say never give up on yourself or your talent.  My novel writing professor once told me, "Anyone can write a book, but it takes persistence to publish."  It takes persistence to make any dream a reality.  Life is full of opportunities...it never comes down to just one shot.

As for Adam, *sigh* I'm sorely disappointed in your lack of good judgement, BUTTTTTT  hey, I still love ya, Adam Levine!

No comments: