Tuesday, April 19, 2005

A plea to my single sistas...

I'm not a feminist by any means. I tend to get a little sappy and sensitive at times. Everyone has their soft spots. But, one thing I don't believe in doing is wearing my heart on my sleeve. At 18, you don't know where alse to put it. At 25, you start to learn through your past heartaches. And by 30, you better have damn well mastered the art of guarding your heart.

It's mind boggling to me how women my age get all twisted over smooth talking, commitment-phobs. Five years ago, I'd have been right with them....all caught up in the dillusional thought of "I can change him." But these days, I know that if a guy is still an immature jackass at 25, he's going to be one at 55....and that ain't changin. There's more to life than a cute face, nice ass, and smooth lines. Sure, it feels great at the moment to get wined and dined...to feel like your the object of someone's affection...but when do you stop thinking about what feels good for the moment and think about your needs/desires for the future? What's more important?

Here's what I tell my galpals time and time again. DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME. Time is truly of the essence. And face it, if you're over 26 and an SIF (*single Indian female*), you've got no time to lose. So why why why get caught up in the game when you know he's a player? Grant it, I'm not the queen of advice...cuz God knows my wisdom and tactics have not landed me a man. But, I can honestly say, I've learned from my past. One heart break was enough. My heart is a fortress...and you have to be pretty damn special to unlock this door.

2 comments:

Scorps1027 said...

Preach on sista'!!! I love the heart is a fortress metaphor. well put.

Anonymous said...

Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about its own things. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble.