Monday, April 18, 2005

The power of prayer...

I had a rather introspective weekend. Lately, those are very prevelant. I decided to put things into perspective on Sunday. Church is a great place to gain perspective. As I sat there, waiting for some sort of divine providence, I continued reading the book of Mathew. I noticed several verses that I highlighted throughout the past weeks. They were jumping out at me like neon signs. I believe that at the time, I hilighted them thinking it was a reoccurring theme. In literature, they teach you to look out for reoccurring words, phrases, symbols, and themes because they are clues/signs that will help you understand/de-code the work.

The verses were regarding faith. In particular, about how God honors faith. Grant it, this is not ground-breaking, earth-shattering news. This is something that every Christian knows. But, to me it triggered an ugly thought that brought me to an epiphany, of sorts.

Saturday, I was driving down the road with a few people in my car. We were stopped at a stop light, where a woman was standing with a sign. She was homeless and needed food and/or money. Unfortunately, I wasn't of any use to her since I rarely tote around anything except a check card. So, I said, "Sorry, Lady...I can't help you with money, but I'll pray for you." (not that she could hear me) After which, I said a really quick prayer. A few moments later, the passenger in my car said, "not like your prayer is gonna help her any."

I was shocked and flabbergasted. Maybe I didn't hear the comment correctly. So, I asked for clarification. The passenger repeated the same comment and proceeded to tell me that prayers were like "wishing upon a star." I couldn't believe my ear! Then the passenger continued on by saying things like healings were merely the luck of the draw.

I was horrified by the comments and immediately began thinking of ways that I could help this person. Later that night, I decided that I'd invite the person to Wednesday night church with me and perhaps this would straighten out their train of thought.

But, Sunday as I thought about the hilighted verses in Mathew, I started to think that the person's comments were pretty much the same as my thoughts and actions. I have certain issues in my life that I've ceased praying about. In my mind, I've just given up. It seems to impossible. I realized that maybe I didn't come right out and say it, but I thought what the person said. And just 24 hours ago, I was totally judging them. At the time, when it was said...I thought in my mind that this person was an atheist. But...if someone were to inspect my thoughts and actions, I'd be an atheist too.

I realized at that moment that I do believe in the power of prayer. I do believe that faith moves mountains from your life. So, to stop praying about something is the dumbest thing I could possibly do. I need to flex my faith muscle, stop worrying about everyone else, and focus on what God can and will do in my life. I am inviting that person to church on Wednesdays, but not just so they can re-focus...but so I can too.

3 comments:

Scorps1027 said...

good for you suevee! often times, we forget to remove teh speck from our own eye before pointing out the speck in other's.

Anonymous said...

this makes me soo happy!

Anonymous said...

sue:) that's great...remain strong in your faith and don't let someone else every hinder you...tell them u'll pray for them;)