Monday, June 20, 2005

The fill-in female...

I'm not sure if this happens to all single women, or just me. But, it's tres annoying, and I feel the need to vent. I've stated that I have this "no call" policy once someone gets married. This is simply because I am aware of the fact that married couples are too busy to listen to my daily ranting and raving. So, I save a lot of my random rants and raves for my blog. I don't immediately think of the one single person I know in order to bother them with my banter. I completely understand that once in a while, you need to vent...or you need a shoulder to cry on, etc. And, in that case...sure, it's ok to call a friend...whether they be single or marred because that's what friends are for.

However, I seem to ALWAYS find myself in this weird position where I seem to be the "fill in female." Let me explain, I have a tendency to befriend boys easily. Obviously nothing more than "befriend" thus my single status for the 30th year in a row!! Anyway, I guess males (and correct me if I'm wrong, guys) have a tendency to want to hear the comforting voice of their gal pal or female relatives instead of their "boys" when it comes to matters of the heart. I can't tell you how many countless times I've gotten calls at all hours of the night about a sordid break up, unspoken love, unrequited love, no love, and the list continues.

Now, I don't mind being a listener or an encourager. But, I do mind being the fill in female. You go from friend to fill in when you're boy buddy suddenly stops calling you once they have a new lady love in their lives...and then calls you again ritually when there's trouble in paradise. I find this to be the single most annoying thing. Sometimes I think to myself...If I had a man, there is no way this guy would be calling me at this time of night. This call is taking place solely because I'm single and therefore "seemingly" available for wounded hearts to vent to. Afterall, I should be able to relate right?? WRONG. I can't relate. In fact, it boggles my mind how men dawg women for being whiney, but seriously...they're worse! Here's what is equally annoying....listening to a guy whine every day for the minimum of 2 hours, and then to not have the same courteousness reciprocated when you feel a little wounded. When you're the whiner, they have this "Buck up and deal with it" ...be a man...grow some balls...geez women are too sensitive mentality. Nothing drives me more insane. When they're hurting, you're to dish out compassion but when you're hurting the only part of compassion you're gonna get is "ass."

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here is one thing I've always wanted to know.

Do girls feel sorry for those guys that talk about their feelings all the time?

Do they find that attractive in some demented way?

Would they actually want that as their future husband?

I'm not saying that a guy should have the personality of a Hell's Angel but isn't that rather odd that a guy would sit around sharing his feelings on a regular basis?

So I'm just wondering what do girls think about these type of guys?

Oh my gosh I have to go...my favorite song is playing "Faithfully" by Survivor.

Anonymous said...

AMEN SISTER! your whole blog could have exactly been my blog! i go thru the same thing...errr....men.

Anonymous said...

Here's my thoughts on what Alex said.

No, women do not like guys that go on endlessly about how they feel ...its annoying. We're dudes for a reason, we are "supposed" to be stoic, unfeeling monoliths, who can crush a spider at a moments notice!!!!!

What I have found women do want...is the balance, the strength with the compassion, and it is rare that we figure that out without being married first. Also, i'd keep that favorite song of yours a secret....geez.

I know how sue feels about calling the married folk, but she should, b/c some of those people love sue b/c she is a good friend!!!!!

Anonymous said...

uhm, excuse me...who did what? i'm trying to figure it out, but i can't. there are a few that i'm thinking of, but is it the one that i'm really thinking of?!?

Anonymous said...

Yes it is

Anonymous said...

Lot's of females answering these questions.

Except Goerge who seems to be very in touch with the psyche of a woman. Hmmm...Not that there is anything wrong with that.

Sue V. said...

me, no it's not who you're thinking of. who ARE you thinking of?

Anonymous said...

You know that guy who always calls you to talk when he just had a fight with you know who!

Sue V. said...

seriously, i have no clue who "he" or "you know who" is that you're talking about. I'm rackin my brains to figure it out!!