Friday, June 10, 2005

What's so funny?

Oh my gosh...I simply can't take one more second of this woman's annoying laugh. It's amazing how laughs can be so annoying. I know that my laugh isn't exactly the most normal laugh on the planet. I tend to laugh...and then if something really funny...the laugh is followed by a snort. I consciously try to avoid the snort many times, but sometimes it just leaks out. I've snorted in completely inopportune moments and have drawn much unwanted attention to my little problem. BUT...my laugh..minus the snort is totally normal. And the snort is quick and painless...it doesn't last several seconds or minutes. It's like you hear the weird thing and then you don't. But weird laughs seem to last forever.

For instance, there's a difference between a chuckle and cracking up. I know a lady who cracks up at everything and never chuckles. Her chuckle is just a smile...no noise. But when she laughs...she cracks up. I mean...hysterically cracks up. It's the weirdest thing I ever witnessed. Someone will make a moderately funny comment, and she'll just smile. But if someone makes a funny comment that's chuckleworthy, the lady is about to fall out of her chair laughing hysterically. I feel uncomfortable when she laughs. It's definitely not an indoor laugh. It'd be one thing to be outdoors and laugh like this. But indoors...it's just way too loud and weird...and it makes you wonder..."did i miss something?...that wasn't SO hilarious"

Then, there's the long laugher. I've laughed with people before who laugh for such a looooong time. Like I've laughed and returned my face back to serious mode and they're not even half way done laughing. So, then I'm forced to smile a bit longer while they laugh. I certainly can't start laughing again...because by then my mind is already thinking...geez, why is he/she STILL laughing...and there's nothing funny about that thought.

Even worse is the short laugher. Their laugh consists of three sounds...huh-huh-huh. It's the world's shortlest laugh. I guess this would be considered less annoying. Unless you're the person who just made a joke. You're then left wondering...wow was that just a courtesy laugh? But, the fact of the matter is...the laugher thinks you're hysterical, but he/she just can't get more excited than huh-huh-huh.

This particular woman that is currently driving me crazy has this evil, chuckle laugh. She's laughing and no one has a clue why. A part of me doesn't want to know why. Her laugh scares me...makes me want to go to my happy place to get away from her. It'd be different if she did the chuckle and stopped. But, it's a combination of long lasting + the evil chuckle. It sends shivers up my spine. How can any sound be more annoying?

You would think that laughs would be a universally pleasant sound that brings joy to all people. Yah, that's a nice notion...but some laughs are just way too annoying.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

HAHAHAHAHAH sue...i'm one of those ppl that'll continue to laugh and you're already done laughing...and then you'd stare @ me wondering why I was still laughing....but its something i can't control! bet you can't wait to meet me, huh?:)